Author Topic: Calis Beach Indian Restaurant  (Read 9136 times)

Offline amca

Calis Beach Indian Restaurant
« on: May 18, 2013, 15:21:58 PM »
Started a new thread rather than add to the one which declared that it was the best Indian meal ever. I thought that was overdoing it!

Had a meal there last night, Friday 17th.
The food was much the same as was available at Bombay Corner.
It was as good as I have had in Turkey. The Taj Mahal in Marmaris is pretty good, too.

Haluk and Ahmet, formerly of The Bombay Corner, provided excellent service.

There were about 30 customers dining around this time.
Some of them were loyal customers, I was told.
The buzz of conversation, the unobtrusive music and the sound of the waves added to the evening.

Being on Calis Kordon, it is certainly the best view I have ever had whilst having a very good Indian meal.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 15:53:41 PM by amca »

Offline tonyb

Re: Calis Beach Indian Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 16:45:55 PM »
The same as Bombay Corner? Not up to much then. Unfortunately, curry doesn't travel well outside of India,Leicester, Bradford,Brum & few other places. Although restaurants abroad try quite hard, they just can't capture the authentic taste & are quite frequently,vastly overpriced. I once made the mistake of having a "Curry" in Crete. I didn't believe Vesta were still in business !!! Vile. Never again. I'll no more go to a restaurant in Turkey & have an "Indian," than go to an Indian restaurant & have steak.Just don't get the point.

Offline Christie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 17:41:52 PM »
People enjoy a curry - to be honest the best curry we have eaten was in Fuengirola, Spain.  Absolutely beautiful.  We don't go for curry too much in Turkey because on a whole they are not that great but we have had some fairly good ones - ok they were not quite what we were expecting but still very tasty,  and we will be trying out the Calis Beach one.   We went to Bombay Corner a few years back, and although the curry was quite acceptable there were a lot of quite loud speaking ex-pats in there talking about their bank balances and interest rates etc.   We never went back. 

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 17:47:09 PM »
Curries are very good at the Shine and Curry Palace in Hisaronu. They do  a good "take away service" too. Handy for me as wee live just up the hill from both, but a fair distance from Calis. I think the guy from the Shine tried to open a restaurant in Calis at one time, but it wasn't a success.

Offline amca

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 17:49:46 PM »
The same as Bombay Corner? Not up to much then.

I'll no more go to a restaurant in Turkey & have an "Indian," than go to an Indian restaurant & have steak.Just don't get the point.

I have no difficulty accepting your opinion about the restaurants concerned. It is all a matter of opinion.
Just a question, however ...... did you eat at Bombay Corner? I ask only because of what you say at the end of you post.

Offline tonyb

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 18:18:34 PM »
Hi Amca.
Yes,once. Talked into it by my sister in-law who, unfortunately knows no better. Couldn't fault the service, but the food- very disappointing & maybe it's just me, but I thought overpriced.
I also take Christies point about the ex-pat thing. Although on the our visit it wasn't ex-pats. Just British holiday makers behaving like it was a drunken stag night. Not very pleasant. I guess you just live & learn.

Offline amca

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 21:33:53 PM »
Hi Amca.
I also take Christies point about the ex-pat thing. Although on the our visit it wasn't ex-pats. Just British holiday makers behaving like it was a drunken stag night. Not very pleasant.

I was not one of them ...... honest.
The food is a little more expensive than some places in Calis.
I went / go about once a fortnight and I have been lucky enough to avoid the type of people you describe.
Sometimes, it was a little too quiet, in fact.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Offline janmack

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 21:42:38 PM »
I will stick to our own curries :)  Tried a Jalfrezi from the Bombay Corner once...one of my favourite dishes and have often had it in the UK and India...  Bombay's was so hot it felt like my mouth was burnt for hours after!  I know Jalfrezi is a hot curry but theirs was just ridiculous!

Offline janmack

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 21:53:15 PM »
People enjoy a curry - to be honest the best curry we have eaten was in Fuengirola, Spain.  Absolutely beautiful.  We don't go for curry too much in Turkey because on a whole they are not that great but we have had some fairly good ones - ok they were not quite what we were expecting but still very tasty,  and we will be trying out the Calis Beach one.   We went to Bombay Corner a few years back, and although the curry was quite acceptable there were a lot of quite loud speaking ex-pats in there talking about their bank balances and interest rates etc.   We never went back. 
I don't really care if I upset anyone but this kind of post is starting to really p**s me off.  I am an ex-pat and have been here for 9 years nearly.  Yes, when you go out you will get a lot of people talking about finances/survival/interest rates etc. etc.  When we go back to the UK that is all a lot of people talk about too.  What do you expect from people who live here...it's no different than having to listen to folk going on about the exchange rate/the state of the beach/the quality of the chips blah blah blah...BORING.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 22:15:28 PM »
:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf