Author Topic: Melodi Bar.  (Read 8106 times)

Offline Bill Electric

Melodi Bar.
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »
Selma and Figo: - formerly of the Melodi Bar.

The bar was originally situated at the far side of the square in Fethiye (near the Culture Centre). From early March (2015) the Belidiyesi (council) started to demolish the whole of the building on that side of the square, along with all the other little bars and restaurants that used to exist there. We spoke to both Selma and Figo in September 2014 who told us of the demolition proposals, due to the damage the building sustained during the large earthquake in or around 2012/2013.

They have moved to a building in Koça Çalış that is quite difficult to find. As we visited them in early April they asked if we could publish on this forum the directions to their new bar / restaurant so that old friend who wish to find and visit them can. I have started from the bridge entrance to Çalış Beach, but if you are coming from Fethiye it is worth taking the dolmuş as far as the ‘Surf Cafe’ that is marked on the map as SC. We would advise that you go during daylight hours for the first visit and wear reasonable shoes as the road are not suitable for light or decorative shoes. Of course if you wish you could always take a taxi.

From the bridge you cross to the front and turn right. Follow the promenade until you get to the ‘Letoon Hotel’. Just after this the promenade starts to turn right. Look for a restaurant called ‘The Oben’ and a small path that runs at the start of it. Turn left down this path and continue along this small road until you reach the Dolmuş Station. Look to the right of this station and there is a road. Go to the road and and turn left. You now follow this road basically as far as you can go. This road varied from concrete, stone to sometimes mud and stones. Continue along the road keeping the sea on your left. You will pass several hotel and apartment complexes on your right and various restaurants on your left. Including the area where part of the James Bond movie ‘Skyfall’ was shot. Eventually you will reach a group of restaurants and a major stone laid road to your right. Ignore this and continue along the beach. The road here is quite poor. You will come to were the road bears right as there is a small water outlet. Follow the road around and continue for another 70 metres. Bear left and their new bar / restaurants is on the right.

They have spent a lot of money refurbishing the building and is in a very quiet, tranquil position. They have a lot of plans for the future, including fishing and crazy golf. Go along, have a chat, a drink and something to eat and see what you think. They are looking forward to seeing old friends.

They were not open when I visited them on 2.4.2015, but were hoping to open as soon as possible. I note from one of the comments that they may still not be fully open. They did not say they only intended to open a couple of days a week, but my impression was that they intended to open as was the Melody Bar.

They also had to keep the orginal name of the restaurant so it will be called 'Türünce Melodi'

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 20:47:44 PM by Bill Electric »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Melodi Bar.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
It can't be easy to re establish yourself way out in the sticks but their new location sounds nice and what a lot of people are looking for. Wishing them all the best and every success   :)

Is there a photo of their new place?

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 13:12:33 PM »
Thanks for that Bill.  Are they opening every day?  They did suggest that they may only open at weekends.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 13:26:39 PM »
" The bar was originally situated at the far side of the square in Fethiye (near the Culture Centre). From early March (2015) the Belidiyesi (council) started to demolish the whole of the building on that side of the square, along with all the other little bars and restaurants that use to exist there. We spoke to both Selma and Figo in September 2014 who told us of the demolition proposals, due to the damage the building sustained during the large earthquake in or around 2012/2013. "

I think you will find that the earthquake that caused those particular buildings to lean dangerously, happened a LOT earlier than " 2012 / 2013 " !!!! The last MAJOR earthquake which did much structural damage was in 1961, but the REALLY big one happened on 25th April 1957 , which levelled most of Fethiye !!

Offline cobbydalers

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 16:19:11 PM »
Weve been to see Figo and Selma again today it will be another week before they are ready to open, its taken a lot more and been harder work than they expected.  I do hope a lot of their previous customers seek them out they deserve a good season, lovely people good food and a tranquil setting ideal in the heat of summer.

Offline seawater

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 21:14:27 PM »
Just a couple of photos of their new place over the easter hols 

Offline seawater

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 21:17:00 PM »
More photos

Offline seawater

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 21:18:25 PM »
Photo

Offline philrose

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 06:16:38 AM »
" The bar was originally situated at the far side of the square in Fethiye (near the Culture Centre). From early March (2015) the Belidiyesi (council) started to demolish the whole of the building on that side of the square, along with all the other little bars and restaurants that use to exist there. We spoke to both Selma and Figo in September 2014 who told us of the demolition proposals, due to the damage the building sustained during the large earthquake in or around 2012/2013. "

I think you will find that the earthquake that caused those particular buildings to lean dangerously, happened a LOT earlier than " 2012 / 2013 " !!!! The last MAJOR earthquake which did much structural damage was in 1961, but the REALLY big one happened on 25th April 1957 , which levelled most of Fethiye !!

I think you will find that the buildings were only built in the 1980's...

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
Not sure where Gordon left his brain, he can't remember Selma and Figo telling him that the buildings had been getting progressively worse since the 1990's, it did have a shake late one night in 2005(ish) Selma dragged Gordon out of the bar sending him home to me,   the following day there were many officials looking at the buildings, and the ones at the back street, the shake had made them a little worse,  so 10years later and only now sorted.

On a more positive note, I am please to see that Selma and Figo have new premises, albeit a little off the beaten track, I wish them every success for the future and will pay them a visit when out next.

Figo, when we first arrived in Turkey he could not speak English, interestingly he had the same English/Turkish teacher as us, he wanted to learn so that he could talk with Gordon.  It must have worked, they both went fishing and came back with a car full of oranges!!! not sure what language either of them were talking for that to happen.   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf