Author Topic: Sit coms  (Read 4987 times)

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Sit coms
« on: January 02, 2014, 20:16:59 PM »
Just a mention that two new series / Birds of a feather and Benidorm are on tonight.Do either of these shows appeal to members sense of humour? Possibly another poll Keith    ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Sit coms
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 20:23:09 PM »
There you go Badge :D

I don't particularly like either but can watch Benidorm without too much pain  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 20:36:46 PM »
I thought Benidorm was funny for the first couple of series, but now it's done to death and not funny. It seems once a series is funny, the T.V. companies drain the life out of it until it's dead.  Same with Birds of a Feather, why on earth bring that back??  Possibly because no one has any new ideas and all the recent series i.e. Citizen Khan are dire.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 20:49:18 PM »
I hate it I hate it

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 21:26:08 PM »
My wife is recording `Birds of a feather`so the jury is out..... but as for `Benidorm` sorry,  watched it once and that was the last time.. not my type of humour... in my opinion there aren`t any good current `situation` comedies  around . According to the papers.. I cant believe they are considering a new series of David Jason in `still open all hours`  it was as funny as watching paint dry... Also there are no good script writers  about any more... all of the good ones are  either retired or dead unfortunately . 

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 21:54:04 PM »
While there has been nothing on TV over Xmas, we watched series 1&2 of "I'm Alan Partridge" it was so funny. Available on "Film On" for anyone who took up the offer shared on here recently.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 22:21:17 PM »
Sorry G. Don't think Alan Partrige is funny either but my son does.. We watched a documentary about Stanley Baxter.. He was great but doubt if his humour would suit today's audience..

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 22:26:41 PM »
Lots of disappointment on FB regarding Benidorm - like I said I don't watch it (never have really) but opinion seems to be that the standard has fallen through the floor.

I'm Alan Partridge falls into a particular category for me - a bit like Yes Minister - I don't find it particularly funny but it is incredibly clever and well thought through.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 00:00:08 AM »
Like Jacqui I think these two have been done to death.  Funny first series or two, then it is a rapid downward trajectory.

Best Sit Com in the last couple of years has been Phoneshop (British) and Big Bang Theory (US), both on channel 4 OD if you want to catch up on them. In the case of Phoneshop if you blush easily or are easily offended then may be you should stick to Birds of a Feather

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 00:10:26 AM »
Our great sitcom discovery in recent times was when CBF member kanga told me to give 'Still Game' a try. In case you haven't heard of it (I hadn't), it's a BBC Scotland comedy which is about two pensioners in Glasgow and their circle of friends. It is so good that they showed 2 episodes on BBC1 up here and after the second one I ordered the box set.

Hard to explain or show what the secret is, you have to watch an episode or two. But here's a sampler...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-FjcMDy7-s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-FjcMDy7-s</a>

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf