Author Topic: winter sun..  (Read 5378 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

winter sun..
« on: August 25, 2015, 21:31:47 PM »
If you wanted Christmas in the sun, where would you recommend.  Not looking for a long flight like US or Aus.
We went to Sharm 5 years ago at Christmas, and it was lit up like Blackpool with Christmas trees and decorations.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: winter sun..
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 22:14:14 PM »
I'd go to Tenerife personally, slikmrs   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 22:20:51 PM »
Never quite managed to get all of us off for a Christmas break but if I could my research would probably take me to Madeira.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 22:25:06 PM »
Agree with  Toky, any of the Canary Islands are brilliant for winter sun, can recommended Fuerterventura 4 sun, sea and beach

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 22:28:14 PM »
I'd go to Tenerife personally, slikmrs     :)

Exactly what Mrs H said  :)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 22:29:46 PM »
Had a good 'un in Madeira a number of years ago. The NYE celebrations are quite spectacular too

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 22:37:25 PM »
I would pick Tenerife.   We tried Maderia one December.  The place itself is lovely and the temperature was great, Hotel fabulous. .  However, there were a great deal of very, very elderly people there, lots of mobility scooters and walking sticks. I don't mind elderly people. I am getting there myself, but I like a mix of ages on holiday.  There was also very little to do in the evenings.  There was ballroom dancing in our Hotel but not much else.  We had some nice meals out and the restaurants were very good.  However, it seemed most of the visitors went to bed early.
We took a day trip around the island and had a wonderful trip on a mini bus.  We were  the youngest ones on the trip.  Most of the others had been coming for years every Winter and one man of 85 was a great fun, he had so many stories to tell us and we never stopped laughing all day. 
Have to say though, we booked for a week, but 4 days would have been enough.   Everyone told us we should have come for N.Y as it was fabulous then with all the fireworks.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 22:49:07 PM »
Any particular part of Tenerife/hotel recommend.  Will also have a look at Madeira.

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 22:55:22 PM »
I would pick Tenerife.   We tried Maderia one December.  The place itself is lovely and the temperature was great, Hotel fabulous. .  However, there were a great deal of very, very elderly people there, lots of mobility scooters and walking sticks. I don't mind elderly people. I am getting there myself, but I like a mix of ages on holiday.
I'm sorry, but do you ever think before you type?  Disabled and elderly people have a right to holiday where they choose and not be thought of as a reason for not holidaying in a certain place.  I am really appalled at your attitude.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 23:13:59 PM »
I don't think Jacqui meant that, yes everyone has a right to a holiday, but the way we read it was that she just preferred a wider age range. My daughter said the same when she visited. It's a lovely island.    :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf