Author Topic: Music at its best.  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Ally B

Music at its best.
« on: November 22, 2016, 20:11:49 PM »
Spent two and a half hours last night watching  "Look through any window" on Sky Arts  It was the story of the Hollies.The music was really good from a group that were, to a certain extent overshadowed by the likes of the Beatles and Rolling Stones.When you think of all the groups on the go in that era they more than held their own.I saw them live in Dundee many many years ago probably did not appreciate them as much as I should have. Maybe screaming girls had something to do with that. The amount of hits they had was amazing. I would recommend the program.  At the very end of the show the sang an a cappella version of Amazing Grace which in my opinion is one of the best versions I have ever heard. As I am getting on in years I have an occasional thought of my funeral and what music I would like and this version is high on my list. I have tried various sources and cant find out a means to purchase a copy. It seems it was never recorded. If any one can tell me different I would be very pleased.  Please try and watch the program if you can.

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Music at its best.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 20:25:57 PM »
A friend was on about a programme on sky arts covering the punk era recently. Seems i, ve missed out on some compulsive viewing  :-[
Thanks for jogging my memory to tune in.

Offline Stopfordian

• Certified incomprehensible
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 21:27:59 PM »

Hi Ally B. The song was recorded, I think in Australia, but never released as a single.
  Have a look on you tube there are a few versions on there you could save.
  They used to hang around The Toggery in Stockport when I was a youngster in the 60s, but I was more
  into the Stones.   :). It was only as I got older I began to appreciate what they did for the Manchester
  Music scene.
     Good luck searching,   :)

Offline Stopfordian

• Certified incomprehensible
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 21:45:01 PM »

Offline Ally B

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
thats it stopfordian. Thanks for info/

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 15:12:31 PM »

Sky Arts One and BBC4 put on some cracking groups and music occasionally, in between the dross.       ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 17:51:48 PM »
We watched the programme about the Hollies too.  It was so interesting, took me back and reminded me that they wrote and recorded such good songs.
I saw them many times in Liverpool mainly on the Cavern.  I used to drag my friends to see them.  I got a lot of stick in Liverpool for liking a Manchester group.   My friends all like Tony Hicks, but I only went for the music.
Interested to hear Tony saying that Elton John was a session musician for them on one occasion and they paid him £12.00 for the whole session.   My favourite song was "The Air that I Breath"'It was a travesty that it only made No.2.  :'( >:(

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 18:12:24 PM »
Didn't know it only reached No. 2.

Checking with Google, seems that "Tiger Feet" was No. 1 for a few weeks at that time.

Many exceptional only songs made No. 2

I remember Ultravox's "Vienna" as one of those. (Also "Fairytale of New York" and Oasis "Wonderwall" - Google).

Some big surprises out there.

Offline Ally B

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 19:00:46 PM »
THE dVd of the show can be bought for £3.99 from Amazon ,great value in my opinion.The "amazing grace" track is played right at the end as the credits are showing. I am going to buy one and will not watch it till we get to Calis in May in case there is a rainy day.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 20:54:12 PM »
I always think the groups who wrote/write their own music are the best and most talented.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf