Author Topic: hisaronu 2006 - better than 2005!  (Read 5893 times)

Offline davewalsh

hisaronu 2006 - better than 2005!
« on: October 15, 2006, 19:07:58 PM »
We have just got back from our last trip out to Hisaronu this year, apartment closed down etc. I have got to say that this year was much better than last year having regard to the amount of bar noise in the resort. In 2005 there were real problems with bars banging on until daylight without a care for residents and holidaymakers, mainly playing to an audience of just a few people. A number of your responsents on this thread have remarked how noisy it can be. Well, this year the jandarma enforced the midnight 'noise down' rule and closed most bars at a more sensible time (3 am - lock-ins available), also ensuring that clubs played behind their sound-proofed doors. What a  difference it made, the youngsters still enjoyed themselves, the clubs stayed open later than bars but behind their sound proofed doors, people could hear themselves talk and the overall experience was just so much better. Talking to the few bar owners etc that I have become friends with, they reckoned the season was down but not by that much - only the gold-digging bars and restaurants and the gold shops have had a bad time.

I suppose a few people will dissent but i don't care, the place needed tidying up and I just wish that my Turkish was good enough to congratulate local police and politicians in writing for their efforts (one day it will be).

Hopefully next year the same enforcement will take place. Most sensible visitors to the Fethiye area don't want 'Benidorm in the sky' and the area will only prosper in the long term if Hisaronu shakes off the false perception, held by many, but not by those who know, that it has a Club 18-30 image.

Good luck to all those businesses that are staying open through the winter. The list is growing as more and more people make the move to Turkey.

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 19:52:58 PM »
Glad to hear this Dave.  We dont stop in Hisaronu ourselves, but still have great affection for the place and this can only enhance its reputation.  Looking forward to our trip on friday.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 06:52:39 AM »
Heard on the grapevine today that a new complex of shops and restaurants is to be built in the area behind ATA bar which supposedly will be demolished to make room for the development which will go from the PTT to the taxi rank and down to St Nicholas Gardens.  It will also open on to the road opposite AZDA. I expect this will mean more estate agents and jewellery shops.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:35:13 AM »
I hope that is not true.  I enjoy wandering around the shops at night, some of the charm will be lost if it turns into tiled floor complex.  
Not to mention what it will do to the prices.

Offline davewalsh

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 10:33:17 AM »
The development is being undertaken by the owners of Nicholas Homes who are demolishing the Ata bar and hotel and also the St Nic's Gardens Hotel (some of it - they have apartments in the complex) It also looks like Daisy May and Nadias Irish Bar are on the way out so the extent of this development is subject to speculation. The Ata needs demolishing, it is a tip, the bar was re-furbed last year and is Ok but the hotel buildings are a disgrace.

We heard there was room for forty shops and bars in the new complex - seems excessive. There isn't the tourist volume in H to sustain a massive increase in shopping so this could be the death knell for a lot of the outlying small shops. The opening of Azda this year was a case in point. Its not the cheapest of supermarkets but everything (except fresh meat) is priced - the Brits flocked to it and I bet that many a small shop will disappear over the winter.

This new development will probably 'draw in' the commercial area at the expense of the outlying places, some of which look  as if they spread down the road and outwards when land was cheap

Many of the existing gold shops are having a terrible time of it, they are used to big margins and many have struggled this year because many visitors to Hisaronu are repeats (who don't buy much gold) or semi residents.

The real thing that is changing around Hisaronu is that many of the smaller hotels are being either bulldozed or converted to apartments and more apartments are being built.  Also people buying apartments to rent or for family and friends with a view to retirement etc. take many weeks of voids in a season thinning out the numbers. You guys have the same 'problem' in Calis - ex-pats don't blow 500 pounds a week in local bars and restaurants and tourist tat shops.  

There are two camps of people who love the village, those, like me who want to see the place go up-market and go back to what it was a few years ago, a relaxed, family resort and those who like it the way it is. I think the latter camp are doomed because Hisaronu has to move on, at the moment it is too dependent on cheap holidays, booze and jewelry and is wide open to bankruptcy if there is a serious British recession (and we all know it is coming). Break dancing, unlike belly dancing, will not endure as a form of bar entertainment for the next 20 years.

Controversial stuff I know but I genuinely love the place, particularly the outlying forest and mountains and I want to retire out there some day soon. I like the whole of the fethiye area, ther's something for everyone

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 13:01:20 PM »
There is an article in today's Land of Lights about this development.  They quote "there will be eighty shops in total varying in size from 25 and 32 square meters" Rents are between £10000 and £30000 pounds!!!! You would need an enormous turnover to fund those sorts of rent. Looks like a ticket to bankruptcy to me as I am not sure Hisaronu can support another eighty shops and restaurants. The artists impression looks quite nice though and the site is not at all attractive at the moment. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 13:03:35 PM by tribalelder »

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 15:31:53 PM »
Interesting letter in the Post last week :

Dear Editor,

It's easy to blame a catastrophic season on the recent outrages in Marmaris but the British have suffered bombs on and off for the last thirty years and are quite used to them, so there's little doubt those who have already booked will still come. Also please bear in mind that the bombs in August could not have possibly affected tourist numbers in May, June or July, yet those numbers were well down . . . Why?

Well, what about the World Cup?

No. Small fry. This might have influenced a few, but 1.8 million Brits come to Turkey every year and I didn't see them squashed into the Olympic stadium in Berlin, did you?

Well then, perhaps tourists are finally seeing another side of Hisaronu near Fethiye, a side comprising expensive shops, expensive taxis (did you know you can travel from one side of Ankara to the other in a taxi for six lira?), expensive dolmus and expensive drinks.

Think about it. Not only do you have to squeeze onto a plane for four hours like cattle in a truck, but also have to pay a Visa fee of £10 each to enter the country once you've arrived - and then find the money that covered your two weeks holiday last year now only covers one week. Taxes have been raised on alcohol and fuel. Tourist taxes, but tourists will only take so much. They'll go somewhere else. Like Croatia. Or that old favourite, now very much back in vogue, Spain, where a Lo-Cost flight can be had for a few pounds - and it's free to get in once the wheels hit the deck and circulation returns to your toes! If you're holidaying on a budget, this matters. BIG TIME! Oh, and here's another pesky fly in the ointment - with the spread of shops, bars and restaurants out along the main Fethiye road towards Ovacik, there's really no need for guests staying at that end of the valley to go to Hisaronu any more, and an inevitable consequence of fewer tourists spread over a larger area is that the density declines dramatically. Hence the empty streets. It isn't rocket science, you know. Add into this mix the effect of unbelievably expensive property development that has left half-built villas strewn across the valley like cadaverous concrete carcasses. So nice to look at. Really makes you want to come back to such an attractive area. Still, with luck the banks must be close to pulling the plug on some of these construction companies. Advice to developers and estate agents - why not try selling the villas already built before bulldozing another ancient olive grove and degrading the valley even more? Have you thought about the fact that people are not buying because the area looks like a bomb site? Oh, and maybe also the fact that the properties are hugely, vastly, jaw-droppingly overpriced?

And finally, Hisaronu has a really, REALLY, bad noise problem. As in a MAJOR noise problem. How many tourists no longer go there in the evening because they cannot have a meal or browse around the shops because the bars and clubs pump out such volumes that conversation is impossible? It seems the fewer the tourists, the louder the music to try and ‘attract' those few remaining visitors. Has anyone considered the opposite is much more likely.

So, to sum up, you risk DVT coming here, find prices are becoming unacceptably high, discover your accommodation seems surrounded by a building site and go home with permanent ear damage. Could these factors possibly have an influence on departing guests? Has anyone thought of canvassing them at the airport to find out what they think of Turkey - and whether they'll be returning? The traders in Hisaronu who blame the bombs are in denial. The real reasons are much closer to home - and far more uncomfortable. In addition, the Turkish government should carefully consider its policies regarding tourism. This wonderful, extraordinarily hospitable, exquisitely beautiful country has almost limitless potential but it's so easy to reverse years of careful progress. Raising taxes can seem like a great idea. However, there is one law even the government cannot evade - it's called the Law of Diminishing Returns and it bites. Hard!

'Concerned of Ovacik'

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 16:17:49 PM »
[This wonderful, extraordinarily hospitable, exquisitely beautiful country has almost limitless potential )

You could be speaking about Scotland except we dont get the weather.  No risk of DVT though

Offline gt

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 20:14:56 PM »
George it would be more in line to point the readers towards the fethiye times than copy and pasting there article.
Apart from that it is a good letter.

Offline davewalsh

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 15:42:26 PM »
Agree with most of the correspondents sentiments but my main point was that this year, the noise has got much better (??? less worse??)

It looks like there is a clampdown, long overdue. Now it's time for tackle other problems mentioned, eg surfeit of building, half finished shells of buildings etc.

One final point, we can all moan, and I can be up there with the champions. At least the FT correspondent is trying to get the moans heard amongst the Turks - however indirectly (via the Fethiye Times). Less whingeing on bulletin boards and more writing to the newspapers and the  council is what is needed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf