Author Topic: Is Turkey getting expensive  (Read 32887 times)

Offline sonic008

Is Turkey getting expensive
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2010, 18:10:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by davewalsh

Yes of course it's getting more expensive. One day it will be the same as the U.K. In fact fo many things, it's more expensive than now.

Look at Spain 20 years ago. A veritable third world country. Look at it now ( and yes, I know there are poor parts of Spain but I live in the East End and there's poverty there you didn't think could exist in the U.K.)

You can't expect people in other countries  to subsidise your life style for ever so make the most of the next five-ten-twenty years, and then, move to up and coming Afghanistan

we in dull, stupid uk government, do just that!! subsidise everyone who want to come, free houses, allowances, medical,dentistry, and even a social allowance to meet their nerw neighbours down the pub, amounting, in some cases£30k+ for doing Fcuk all!!!

Offline sugarybaba

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2010, 21:13:03 PM »

Clothes - More expensive

Weather and people - Priceless !!!!!!
[/quote]Not if you by from Calis almost new car boot, Heidi's lira or swop parties, Chitlembik in Fethiye, Garaj when sale on, FIG or fab shop on front in summer
Got new wardrobe last year for about 100 lira - beat that !   8)

Offline Weller Fella

« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »
We have been living in the Fethiye area just under a year and have seen prices soar here and it just cannot be subtainable for lots of brits living here soon with losing the interest on savings, you can quote all inflation figures but just do basic price compares, fuel in cheaper in the UK as is most food, especially meat, with the exception of veg, fruit and bread.  Last week we were in the UK and clothes are cheaper there, just take a trip to Matalan or Asda (mostly made in Turkey). Wine and beer purchased in supermarkets,car tax, insurance about the same, not sure about electric, gas etc.  So take that all into account, UK has better roads, lighting, can legally work if need to have some kind of income. Therefore what was so attractive about living in Turkey is fast dwiddling and I am sure if prices continue on this route in Turkey, more people will be pressured to returning to the UK which will be a shame because of the weather, people and wonderful views.

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2010, 10:14:10 AM »
Very good first post Garry.

Offline Stressed Eric

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
Exactly right Gary.....just returned from doing our weekly shop and finding we are spending more and more each week fpr the same items. The only good thing about this is that if inflation continues to soar, the bank interest rates will probably rise.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »
Originally posted by Weller Fella
  So take that all into account UK has better roads, lighting, can legally work if need to
  My workmate hit a pothole in his car Weds and asked his  mechanic to check it over - He needs a new steering rack- cost about £300 and there have been many cases of people working in the UK - ILLEGALLY : :)
    Plenty of doom and gloom,for a first post, surely things even themselves out.Prices do fluctuate in every country.Clothes etc are reasonable here at the moment but there is a recession on,it's a pity our household / utility bills dont go down.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 13:08:36 PM by badger »

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2010, 16:44:47 PM »
Clothes have been really cheap in this country for a few years now and lots of food stuff is cheaper than it was years ago. I used to go abroad and bring back goods and booze as they were always cheaper than in th UK but not for years now.....Asda, Dunnes etc are always cheaper than abroad these days.
Its very interesting to hear how people are noticing the quick change taking
:Dplace in Turkey.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2010, 18:56:16 PM »
Turkey is also in a recession with an unemployment rate much higher than the UK and that has not forced prices down. If fact it seems to have the opposite effect and prices have risen faster than the rate of inflation.

The biggest problem for Turkey is the black economy. Any work I have done on my house it is always cash in hand. In the restaurants you have the ticket on the table in case a tax inspector might call. That is not the bill that goes through the till at the end of the day. In Europe the tax structure is strictly enforced and the black economy is now being contained and made more difficult to operate within. To increase revenue the Turkish government piles taxes on those goods that it is easy to collect taxes from. Fags, Booze and fuel being the easiest targets.

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2010, 07:02:53 AM »
all might have something to do with the terrible state the pound is in as well

Offline kariaapartments

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Ovacikpeedoff has hit the nail on the head.unless the tax system is sorted out commodities and fixed srevices will always be heavily taxed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf