Author Topic: photo electric cells?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
photo electric cells?
« on: January 08, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
not sure what they are called but has anybody fitted them to their property, at what cost and what sort of power do they generate, just thinking at the present what with riseing electricity prices, also from my distant past I remember night storage heaters with special bricks in has this system been tried in turkey?

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
photo electric cells?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:05:14 AM »
I searched the web a couple of years ago on this subject.....can't remember any company details but I seem to remember there were one or two companies in Istanbul who did them but it was certainly not cost effective from the payback time point of view.  Things may be different now.  Basic information is readily available from several UK sites, just search solar electric power or similar. :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:10:40 AM by tribalelder »

Offline chewyturk

photo electric cells?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »
I know in the uk you are not allowed to fit a solar system integrated fully into your own house wiring with a changeover switch for safety reasons. Don't know what the crack is out here.
The technology of the cells isn't sufficient to power your house without a connection to the grid without having so many cells that the cost would be prohibitive.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
photo electric cells?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
The technology now allows you to take from the grid if needed and also to sell back if you generate more than required (UK) :)

Offline chewyturk

photo electric cells?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:50:23 AM »
Yes tribal, that's how you save money on your bills - they're reduced by the amount you generate for the grid but you're not allowed to power your house, say, in the event of a power cut.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf