Author Topic: Alternative lawn  (Read 4023 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Alternative lawn
« on: April 17, 2008, 13:19:17 PM »
A long shot this..... but does anyone have any info on this alternative to grass which does not require mowing. English is mouse ear and is known and available in Turkey as Fare Kulagi Gim. Any information on when to sow and what soil is required and anything else would be useful.  I have done lots of searching on the web but apart from the odd mention have come up with zilch in terms of solid information.[?][?] :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Alternative lawn
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 14:05:38 PM »
Ideally, you need to sow the seeds in early Spring. As long as the soil's been well raked it's not too important about the quality of it. It needs watering well when growing and throughout the summer. You can get the seed at most garden suppliers in Fethiye.

It DOES require mowing, but only 2 or 3 times a year.

Offline Firo

Alternative lawn
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 19:47:31 PM »
Astroturf

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Alternative lawn
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 19:57:13 PM »
I think for this garden Astroturf would cost more than the house!:D

Offline busybee

Alternative lawn
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 13:07:17 PM »
have heard that the mouse grass seed is mega bucks

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Alternative lawn
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 13:18:12 PM »
It's a little more expensive than ordinary grass seed, but well worth it. Definitely not megabucks.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Alternative lawn
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 17:54:56 PM »
I originally made this query about a friends garden who had it done and in a nutshell it failed.  The garden company who installed it are now talking of removing it with the topsoil and redoing it with a sand base.
The cost here was treble mega bucks!   :)

Offline blindboybanal

Alternative lawn
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 15:26:50 PM »
there is a very small seed/bulb supply shop in the block that surrounds the fish/veg market that sells this seed [mouse ears]... i sent a turk friend in to ask the price...90 lira a kilo! [this was also marked on the box] sounds big bucks to me.

Offline Lucinda

Alternative lawn
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:47:56 AM »
Fare Kulagi is indeed much more expensive than normal seed It can be bought in the mower shop beside Bim in Fethiye. It's 80ytl per kilo. Use 20 grams a Square metre/1 kilo for 50 metres. Now is a good time to plant. Ensure the ground is thourougly weeded and raked. Sow seed at the rate above and cover with a layer of either seived soil or blacking which can be bought in any of the agriculture shops for about 9ytl a bag. It will take about 5 bags for the 50 metres. Water daily and it should come through in about 2 weeks. No mowing is required but weeding is still necessary until it gets thick enough to cover the groung effectively.

Lucinda

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Alternative lawn
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 15:55:55 PM »
Thanks for the info...this was how it was done originally and as stated it failed, hence the idea of changing to a sand base. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf