Author Topic: Alternative lawn  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Maisie58

Alternative lawn
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 18:18:02 PM »
On the subject again of grass seed again... we have been quoted 30TL (£13?) per kg for new grass seed we need to replace/refurbish gardens at our complex which have completely dried up/died despite watering and feed fertilizer. This seemed quite high to me as Uk price for just economy grass seed is about £5  a Kg.  I just wanted to ask if anyone knows price of the kind of 'normal use' seed that you can buy in Turkey.  (Thankfully they are not quoting for the Fara Kulagi stuff that you were discussing).  It seems that our grass is originally built on a rubble concrete base and the top soil not as thick as perhaps it ought to be and maybe after 4 years the nutrients have just gone. The management company recommend new top soil and manure as well.

thank you

Offline Julesp

Alternative lawn
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 20:34:14 PM »
Hi Im a bit hazy but seem to remember paying around 20tl a kilo for normal seed from the nursery opposite Migros 2 years ago. That mostly failed so bought more seed from the shop by the fishmarket which cost 30tl a kilo but was slower growing and more hard wearing. Didnt have too much success with that either The ants seemed to be nicking it!! Now im living in another house but have given up on having a lawn, just strimmed the weeds down and got myself some hens! I may not have a nice green lawn but I do get nice free range eggs everyday  :)

Offline LoubyLou

Alternative lawn
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 03:13:06 AM »
Tribal Elder - we planted mouse ear grass in our garden - in the height of the summer, on soil that was topped with some manure/goat manure. It was kept well waterered when it was planted. It grew, and we still have it 3 years later. At the time, it was an experiment, and we did half the lawn mouse ear, half the lawn nowmal grass. I wish we had done the whole lawn on mouse ear - we find it much easier to maintain - the main weed being grass which has blown over from the other side of the garden!! A future project is to resow theother side withthe mouse ear. The cost doesn't sound that bad to me, as a kg would go a long way - we were given about 4oz and it did a sizeable area

Offline LoubyLou

Alternative lawn
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 03:18:37 AM »
Sorry - just noticed the original postwas 2 years ago, and is on here because osmeone is asking about normal grass seed!! Sorry!!!

Offline Lucinda

Alternative lawn
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 07:13:52 AM »
Mouse Ear (Fahre Kulagi) is much cheaper this year. I paid 30TL for a 1/2 kilo in the lawnmower shop last week.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf