Author Topic: Camellias  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Camellias
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
We have a space in our garden in Calis and I was thinking of planting an Hibiscus, but I love Camellias and every time I buy one in the U.K.(to keep in the house) they never do well.   I would love to have one in the garden in Turkey, has anyone ever grown Camellias, and can you give me some advise?
Thanks
Jacqui.

Offline Firo

Camellias
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:09:10 AM »
We have 2 in Uzumlu and although they survived the winter they seem to be struggling to grow!
Fi

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Camellias
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:24 AM »
Mine are too.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Camellias
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:30:41 AM »
I wonder, if they would grow better in Calis, as Uzumlu is in the mountains, and maybe a lot colder?
Jacqui.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
Camellias
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:20 PM »
Camellias are 'fussy' about the soil. My Mum has several in her garden here, we've found that they grow best if they're kept in pots, rather than planting them directly into the soil.  They seem to withstand the cold of the winter really well and produce lots of flowers annually.

Hopefully there's a 'Percy Thrower' about, who would know about soil types in the Calis/Uzumlu areas and the best way to 'encourage' them on.

They're beautiful plants, good luck  :)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Camellias
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 13:28:58 PM »
I take back what I said about the camellias,  they are producing new leaves and are looking far better.  I think they needed more watering, which they have been getting since we splashed out on a new hose.... -splashed out, -get it!!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Camellias
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 13:35:04 PM »
But heres a snippet from the net, and yes, mine are south facing, so they could have been frost damaged last winter.

"Camellias need shelter if they are to thrive. An area in dappled shade under trees is ideal, but they will tolerate a more open position if shaded for part of the day. A west-facing aspect is perfect as strong early morning sun on frosted flower buds can cause them to thaw too quickly and drop off. In very exposed gardens, camellias are best fan-trained on a west-facing wall."

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Camellias
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 16:14:12 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the information, think we will give them a try.  Any recommendations about Garden Centres, we have bought from a couple on the road from Calis to Fethiye and plants all seem to grow O.K. Want amazes me is that bedding plants that last one year in the U.K. are still going strong 3 years later in Calis.
Jacqui.

Offline peecee

Camellias
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »
Camellias like a slightly acid soil same as Rhodies and Azalea.  We lived in Cambridge where it was clay (and I think this area is clay as well, Uzumlu that is) so had to grow Camellias etc in pots or get erraceous soil.  They will grow but I don't think they'll 'thrive'.  They probably would benefit from a feed of iron so if you have any old iron hanging around plant it around them!!

Offline bulla

Camellias
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 21:30:47 PM »
Hi does any one know of shrubs or flowers that can be bought fully grown to hide fence from people looking in.  That will last over the years and look nice and where to buy them

Thanks

Bulla

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf