Author Topic: Caesalpinia gilliesii  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« on: October 22, 2008, 20:04:45 PM »
Yellow Bird Of Paradise Shrub -Caesalpinia gilliesii .  Hi I bought one of these today.  I live in Uzumlu, so the winters are cold, but I know they grow here because a neighbour has one.  

My question is about the advice the nursery gave.  The lovely lady couldn't speak much english.  But her advice was that I leave it in it's pot on the terrace till April, then plant it in the garden.   She assured me that once planted in the garden, it would stay there permanently.

So why wait till April to plant it in the garden?  Does anyone know the thinking behind this?

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 20:42:50 PM »
After April there will be no chance of frost killing it, then it will have all Summer to establish itself and be hardy enough to  withstand anything Uzumlu can throw at it.

Crabbit
Your online gardening expert. :D

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 21:20:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Crabbit

After April there will be no chance of frost killing it, then it will have all Summer to establish itself and be hardy enough to  withstand anything Uzumlu can throw at it.

Crabbit
Your online gardening expert. :D

Percy Crabbit :)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 21:29:04 PM »
So no bunging it in to get it out of the way.

Have you got a picture of it?

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 23:01:48 PM »
Hmm Crabbit, I can't plant it then... But wont the frost get at it on the terrace anyway?  Although I guess I could put it on the veranda right against the house.

LOL!  Heather, I was hoping to get it into it's final position "out of the way".  Ah well, Now instead of risking frost, it has to risk me forgetting to water it.... :-\
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 23:02:47 PM by Rindaloo »

Offline pashka

• Sutton, Surrey, UK
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 23:10:01 PM »
Have never seen this plant before, think it is absolutely beautiful.
I want one !!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:32:48 AM »
It flowers over a long period.  You see quite a few of them in fethiye near the sea/cafe area.  The flowers are lovely and I like the little leaves too.  I have read that they reproduce by seed pods which burst open releasing lots of seeds which are poisonous [xx(]  and they seed very easily :(  

Now I have to think where's best for it.

I also bought something else, it is SO lovely.  It is a perennial plant.  Mine is about 3ft high.  It has long slender stems which have crimson flowers on, almost like small orchid flowers.  They seem to float above the leaves, which are long and thin..  I am going to have a good look through my gardening book today.  Trouble is, it is for the UK and I wonder if this plant might not get a mention.  I am told it has a long flowering period too.  Oh bliss.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 07:58:58 AM »
That is lovely Rindaloo.

The reason for not planting at this time of year is more to do with the growing season.  If it is not growing it will not establish itself. It will have a better chance in the spring.

There is an old saying that you only plant trees with an R in the month. So don't plant them in the middle of summer.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »
Um, would this also apply then to the perrenial 'what'sitsname' with the crimson flowers?  Husband it warming up the spade for a digging......

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »
rindaloo, lovely colours which nursery did you get it from,and are the seed poisonous to anyone/anything  that eats them

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf