Author Topic: 'Mouse ear' Grass  (Read 3501 times)

Offline LoubyLou

'Mouse ear' Grass
« on: April 20, 2009, 06:07:39 AM »
When we grass seeded our house, we did half the garden normal grass seed, half of it 'mouse ear' seed which was given to us by a lady who lived nearby but who has now gone.

We have now find that the mouse ear grass is much easier to keep tidy and would like to replace the normal grass with mouse ear.

However - as we were given the seed, we do not know what it is called or where we would get it from.

Does anyone one know what we would need to ask for?

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:48:52 AM »
Our grass was sown by the builder.  Some of it grows evenly and is smooth to mow.  Some of it is tufty and a b nightmare because the mower jams up against the tufts (so that I can't push the mower along easily) or the tuft stalls the motor.

What does mouse ear look like as a lawn?  I assume the blades are wide-ish?  Does it grow at the normal speed of grass?  Anyway, My point is, I would also be interested in this grass (or concrete painted green).

I assume we'd have to kill off the grass that's there at present before we used any new grass.  :(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:42:41 AM »
In Turkish it's called Fare Kulagi (soft g and undotted i) . Many of the hardware / gardening shops sell it, or will point you towards one that does.

It produces a very soft flat surface and only needs cutting 3 or 4 times a year. However, it needs more water than grass.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:49:41 AM by KKOB »

Offline calvin 1949

'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rindaloo

Our grass was sown by the builder.  Some of it grows evenly and is smooth to mow.  Some of it is tufty and a b nightmare because the mower jams up against the tufts (so that I can't push the mower along easily) or the tuft stalls the motor.

What does mouse ear look like as a lawn?  I assume the blades are wide-ish?  Does it grow at the normal speed of grass?  Anyway, My point is, I would also be interested in this grass (or concrete painted green).

I assume we'd have to kill off the grass that's there at present before we used any new grass.  :(

I think Sissy has this grass Lynne ,i am sure she would let you have a look ! Calvin 8)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »
Thanks Calvin, though if it needs more water, I think I will pass.....

Offline busybee

'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:22:34 AM »
Rindy my grass is mixed, when I've bought grass seed they give you a mixture some of it is orrible and tufty.

My neighbour enquired about mouse grass and was told 80L a kilo!!!! not sure if this is correct but have been told its expensive.

Four years of havin a lawn and digging out the weeds every spring would now personally plump for crazy pazing or astro turf!!!!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:27 AM »
Fare Kulagi is very dependent on the quality and type of soil it is grown on as to whether it is successful or not.....Bear in mind you cannot use selective weed killers as you would on normal grass so be prepared for lots of hand weeding :)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:55:05 AM »
BB, I feel your pain.  I have mown this lawn once.  Admittedly I borrowed the neighbours electric rotary mower, it is small, got Magimix written on the side.  ;)  It took me 5 hours.  I had to keep leaving the mower so that it (and I) could cool down.   In the end my hands were red and sore and cramped.  Finally I was fantasizing about the Astro Turf Firo had told me about.  I am sure the price is astro-nomical, but whatever price, I didn't care by then, LOL!  Dave seems to love the lawn.  I'll be glad when he gets back to nurse it.  A flamethrower seems good to me. : :)

Offline LoubyLou

'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:11:38 AM »
Thank KKOB - I'll write that down for when I go out.
Rindaloo - this is really nice and soft to walk on, looks nice and green (however our plot was treated to loads of manure before we planted up and all the stones/rubble bits removed), and only needs cuttings a few times a year as kkob said.
I should imagine you would get a huge amount of seed  for your 1kg - we were given a bag weighing probably about 100g that did about 150m2.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
'Mouse ear' Grass
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
Our villa was built on what was formerly a field.  So, good earth all round (in theory).  The truth is i suspect a lot of it disappeared as topsoil for another project.  Digging is a mixed bag.  Some of the earth is lovely and some has builders crap in it.  Including a brand new plug for one of the sinks.  I would like to find another one and live in hope when I dig that I find one.  At least it would fit the sink.  I have bought two previously that were a fraction too small.  Maybe we should hold a plug swap shop, LOL!

LL I will suggest Mouse ear.  If himself fancies murdering the existing lawn to redo it with Mouse Ear, hey, we'll go for it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf