Author Topic: melissa  (Read 3683 times)

Offline barbel13

melissa
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »
I seem to be having problems identifying this plant correctly, having spoken to a so called expert here in Fethiye she says it is melissa officianalis, when i look at the same named plant in an English book or on the internet it shows a completely different plant. can anyone shed any light on this please.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
melissa
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »
Any chance of a picture then ?

Offline barbel13

melissa
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:32:09 AM »
Hi Alan, i was just about to mail you about the Afkule walk next week. Its Boulos here who was on the lycian walk last friday,which we really enjoyed.Regarding this plant just type in the name on Google and see what you get.its nothing like the Turkish plant.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:42:38 AM by barbel13 »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
melissa
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
This is what the Turks call Melissa (otherwise known as Night Scented Jasmine) http://www.aussielandscaping.com.au/images/night_scented_garden_2.jpg  Called Cestrum nocturnum  :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:22:54 PM by Rindaloo »

Offline barbel13

melissa
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
Thanks Rindaloo, I knew the Turks had got it wrongly named. I can rest easy now.

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
melissa
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 15:42:18 PM »
Is this the one that has a really strong beautiful scent (that always reminds me of Turkey!)?

Offline barbel13

melissa
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 16:04:38 PM »
Yes Lynne, there was one at the side of your apartment but it appears that someone killed it, glad you and Pat got home safe.

Offline Linda

melissa
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
I was also confused about what Melissa looked like - so thanks for clearing that up. Is night scented jasmine the same as Aksam Sofrasi - this was in a restaurant in Hisaronu and Aksam Sofrasi was the name I was given when I  enquired about it. That also had a lovely smell at night time.

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
melissa
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 16:48:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by barbel13

Yes Lynne, there was one at the side of your apartment but it appears that someone killed it, glad you and Pat got home safe.

Scary stuff!!  Gone through all our fellow owners in my tiny mind and don't know who you are!!! Your profile says you are 15!!!!!  Enlighten me please!

On a different note but back to the Melissa topic, Yankee candles do a fragrance Midnight Jasmine and it is very very nearly the smell!!!  It's lovely!

Offline barbel13

melissa
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 19:11:41 PM »
Hi Lynne, its not scary, its just my personal info is twaddle so no one knows me. As it said on the tv, the names have been changed to protect the innocent. Speak soon,regards to Patrick.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf