Author Topic: Fruit trees  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Super Fluff

Fruit trees
« on: February 19, 2010, 13:57:35 PM »
We would like to buy some fruit trees for our garden in Calis. Our initial thoughts are: orange, mandarin, olive, peach and plum. Firstly, does anyone know roughly what you would pay for, say, 2 year old trees of the above types?

I didn't see any prices when I visited the garden centre nearest to us (i.e. on the Fethiye/Dalaman road, just after you pass through Gunlukbasi on the way to Dalaman, situated on the right hand side). If other garden centres have fixed prices, I'll go and investigate...

Whilst I am printing information off the internet on the above tree types, from anyone's experience of fruit trees, which ones are easy to grow and develop? I am a relatively inexperienced gardener so should maybe start off with more straightforward ones.

Basically we want our garden to be more productive so that we can be more self-sufficient if we move over. All advice appreciated!

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 18:06:59 PM »
Hi i bought from this place last year ,prices start from about 20 tl i bought grapefruit ,orange ,lemon .all about 3 years old and they went from 60/85 tl very good centre.they also deliver .:D ;)

Offline Steve A

Fruit trees
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 17:09:19 PM »
Hi bought Fig,orange,lemon,peach from there 2 yrs ago about 20ytl each .They have taken well,the fig the best,but havent had any fruit yet apparently it will take around 3 yrs after planting.By the way dont plant fig trees next to any buildings as they have huge roots.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Fruit trees
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 22:56:23 PM »
we have apple ,lime,lemon,orange,cherry,peach trees bought from various plces in fethiye gunlukbasi and they have all taken and the prices all seem to be the same prices

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Fruit trees
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »
when I first started planting out 3-4 foot high trees were 5tl, now I buy larger trees 8-10foot high these are around 40 -60 tl each if you are buying a number get a good price try the guy near the the main dalaman airport road on the old road out fetheyi. my last tree planted was a sweet lemon which I hope has lived through turkish winter.

Offline Super Fluff

Fruit trees
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 15:08:05 PM »
I appreciate all the above feedback. It's good to get some idea of prices, as well as learn where people have successfully purchased. (One thing I am never sure about in Turkey when I am given a price, is how aggressively, or not, to negotiate, i.e. who's giving me a fair price and who's trying it on...)

Obviously, I now need to weigh up how much I want to pay for these trees, versus how long I am prepared to wait for fruit. Thanks, Steve, for the point about fig tree roots - I will avoid this one, as we are planting the trees down one side of the house.

Has anyone bought any special fertilisers for the fruit trees? (According to my search on the internet, it says 'feed regularly with a fertilizer formulated for citrus'.) I assume the garden centre will have this.

I have also seen the trunks painted white there, which I understand is to protect the bark from scorching. Is this a special white paint?

Or have people just left the trees and found they have done ok by themselves?!

Offline sockmonitor

Fruit trees
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
Very interested in this thread as a new member just planting up a new garden. We have bought 3 3/4foot high citrus at around 13 TL each but are a little further away from all of you towards Marmaris.
 As well as the above, does anyone have advice on pest control and any problems to look out for with citrus?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf