Author Topic: Driving Licence  (Read 4093 times)

Offline davemaunders

Driving Licence
« on: March 04, 2010, 18:51:32 PM »
hi there,please can some one tell me if i am doing something wrong,but the other day while out on a hire scooter,i was stop by the police,at first i was told that a full uk licence did not able me to ride a scooter,then he said it was okay afterward,he worried me as tomorrow i am going out to buy a scooter 150cc.:(

Offline BM06

Driving Licence
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 19:56:24 PM »
David, not sure on the Turkish law but in the UK you need a CBT,to ride a motor scooter and then only up to a certain cc 125? (check on that i may be wrong) but in the UK your driving license (car) does not automatically allow you to ride a bike even with L plates,CBT  was introduced in 1990 and has to be taken every two years if you have not passed the test for a full bike license, as i have said the Turkish law may be different, but check before you part with your hard earned. PS. not with the scooter shop they will tell you anything :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 19:59:33 PM by BM06 »

Offline kevin b

Driving Licence
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:23:23 AM »

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Driving Licence
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:31:45 AM »
Dave

Use the search facility as I have and I have found the following thread which may be more specific to your question than telling you the case for the UK, there are other threads -I used the word scooter!

{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}25597&SearchTerms=scooter

Offline BM06

Driving Licence
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:49 AM »
Abby, that thread makes it as clear as mud, if you do not have a CBT addition to your license, you can not ride a scooter in the UK so why would your UK car license allow you to ride a scooter/motorbike anywhere in the world, the only bike you can legally ride without one (CBT) on you car license is a 50cc or below moped that does not go faster than 30 mph, this became law in 1990, so you do not have a license to ride a scooter/motorbike.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Driving Licence
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »
he doesn't say that he doesn't have a full bike license just that he had full license. so he maybe ok if he has full driving / riding license.

Offline BM06

Driving Licence
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
if indeed Dave has a full motorbike license then no problem, the point i was trying to make is that a full UK driving license (car) no longer has a code to ride a bike unless you have taken and passed a CBT test, only covers you to ride a 50cc moped without the said CBT certificate you have no license to ride a motor scooter/bike automatically as was the case before 1990, that's when the law changed.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Driving Licence
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 11:12:03 AM »
Trust me I live in a house of bike riders /CBT test takers I know the rules for the UK. The question regards Turkey -not the Uk- I was advising him to use the search facility to get an answer regarding Turkey - so the first thread I chose didn't answer the question - it was an axample of several pages of threads containing the word scooter which may be able to give him the informaton he needs.

Offline BM06

Driving Licence
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »
Abby, i think (but may be wrong) Dave has a uk full car driving license? like most have here, which does not allow you to ride a motorbike/scooter,as you say, if this is not the case (if he has a Turkish driving license then he may be ok to ride a bike/scooter) as i said before i do not know, but i did not want him to waste his money on a scooter that he maybe? could not legally ride here . P.S. happy and safe riding Abby.

Offline davemaunders

Driving Licence
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 20:47:19 PM »
Thank you all,i buy my scooter today from Turkish friend we change all the detail at the right place in fethiye,it cost 145YTL today and another 300 TYL next week when i pick up the log book,the new number plate and the paper giving me the right to ride a scooter 150cc on the Turkish road and a copy went to the police station too.A uk License full able anyone to ride a scooter under Turkish Law,when you hire a scooter you are cover by the hire shop and nother mention about your detail on your License,it cost a lot of money if your English,once again thank you all for your help.Dave.
P.S.I dont have a english bike license,only car.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf