Author Topic: New Garden - Uzumlu  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Paul Brock

New Garden - Uzumlu
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
Our new home in Uzumlu almost finished, hope to be able to move in next few weeks so now thinking about garden. Our property is on the flat land near new Jandarma.

What grows well in Uzumlu. As well as plants we will be planting some trees, thinking fig (well away from house) Australian bottle brush and some other fruit trees. Have been told citrus and palms do not grow there.

Also want some form of hedge/barrier approx 1.5 metres high -any suggestions??

Know that July is not a good time for planting new and that some things will have to wait until later  but want to at least get started now.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 14:41:04 PM by Paul Brock »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
New Garden - Uzumlu
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
Hi Paul !  We have found that Cherry, Peach and Plum all do very well.  However as you have pointed out, our Lemon really struggles, although this year it has managed to produce a couple of lemons, the first since planting five years ago !  We have honeysuckle, wisteria and jasmine - all doing exceptionally well.  Roses love Uzumlu too.  Have fun !

Offline Honey Bee

New Garden - Uzumlu
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
Hi Paul,

We moved into new villa in Uzumlu 1st May 2010 and planted over the first week. There is a thread that covers this so search on forum. We had great help from garden centre near Migros who advised, delivered and planted in correct areas of garden (full sun / shade etc). The price was good as well. We are back this weekend to see how they have grown. Hope to see you out there.

Offline corbindallas

New Garden - Uzumlu
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
Hi Paul, we live in Uzumlu and have young citrus fruit trees which are growing fruit, my neighbour also have established Orange and Lemon trees and they produce heaps of fruit the lemon has had fruit growing on it for the past 3 months, citrus trees do grow in Uzumlu, even without special attention in the winter, maybe it is climate change but we have no problem here, so would recommend trying a few citrus trees planted in sunny positions. Now Advocado trees are next on my plan! :D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:05:45 AM by corbindallas »

Offline Paul Brock

New Garden - Uzumlu
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »
Thanks for all the advice have now at least got the shopping list started.

Any recommendations for hedge/barrier, want something about 1.5-2 meters high for privacy, will be about 15 meters long. I want something thick but easily controllable - not any pines.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
New Garden - Uzumlu
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »
When thniking of buying plants, bear in mind there is a chap selling some nice ones on the left on way to PTT in Uzumlu.  We have citrus in our garden and this year for the first time we seem to have lemons!  I think its worth a try  :)  As for hedging or some sort of cover, nothing is 100%.  Oleander and honeysuckle would be pretty and give cover, as will grapevine.  But for full cover you would really need some sort of fencing I think.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf