Author Topic: Buying A Scooter  (Read 2585 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Buying A Scooter
« on: November 01, 2010, 21:10:09 PM »
I've been thinking about purchasing a motor scooter to zip around on for errands and shopping.  I can't deny that it would also allow me to relive a more youthful age with the Present Mrs Usedbustickets riding pilion!

However, I have been told that in order to purchase and insure any vehicle, including motorbikes and scooters, that I will need residency.  Is this right?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Buying A Scooter
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:32:24 AM »
I think you will find this is a falsehood, which is not as good as a crash helmet, pop into you're local bike shop they will put you right.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Buying A Scooter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »
http://www.fethiyetimes.com/expat-zone/cars-and-transport/6200-new-laws-for-foreigners-buying-and-selling-vehicles.html

Looks like there was something in my original concern, but I think I will take the advice and check it out in a Motor Bike Shop, when over next month

Offline Old Daffodil

Buying A Scooter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »
What I wonder is how any claims for insurance if you had an accident would be effected if you do not have residency.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:44:59 AM by Daffodil »

Offline BM06

Buying A Scooter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »
All I would say on the subject is make sure your GB license covers you for riding the bike, ie cc, if you do not have a full license (motor bike) you can only ride a bike up to 50cc on a full car license, and then only for a specific time without taking a CBT test in the uk, a lot of accidents last year by tourist were not covered on there insurance because they were riding bikes they had no license for ie over 50cc.

Offline Eric

Buying A Scooter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
The Fethiye Times article is incorrect.  To quote "the sale could not proceed because the foreign vendor had only a tourist visa and no residency permit or Turkish Identity number", last year the Notary Offices changed their software without realising that there was no space to put a foreigners ID such as passport number or tax number.  As a result they just told people to get residency as they could not be bothered to go through the long winded process to get around this.  Notary No 2 knows the problem and how to get around this so go to them.  This information was given by Koray Atak of Atak Services in Fethiye, he is generally correct in all things legal and if you have a problem then contact him, or his wife Gunes (pronounced Gunesh)who will guide you through the system.
Once again-you do not need residency to buy or sell motor vehicles!

Offline terrie

Buying A Scooter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 15:41:52 PM »
eric, i thought koray was notary no 1 ?

Offline Eric

Buying A Scooter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 16:12:20 PM »
No, he uses any of them but said that No2 knows what to do without any drama.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf