Author Topic: Grass seed  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Gilly1

• Gillian Grundy
Grass seed
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:08:13 AM »
Hi, Has anyone out there heard of a grass seed called mouse ear. My grass has suffered terribly this summer ( my gardener swears that he watered it on a regular basis... mmmm)It is suppose to be quite hard wearing and easy to grow. I am not looking for a bowling green just green where at the moment I have bare  soil. I am out there in a couple of weeks and would like to source some and get it sown if it is the right time so it can get established for next year.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Grass seed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
If you do a search, it was discussed at length previously. Sorry haven't worked out how to attach a link on this laptop yet!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Grass seed
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 13:00:49 PM »
Hi Phil - we have the same problem and would really be interested to know if there is anything we can do about it. I am happy to take some seed from the UK and water it every day next summer if someone that knows their stuff will tell me it will help!

This year our gardener/maintenance company has watered once a week and clearly it looks a mess [:(!]

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
Grass seed
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 13:34:55 PM »
Phil - found this after the prompt from Liz:

http://{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}37377&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=grass%20seed

If LoubyLou is correct then 90 lira for a kilo means I may be looking on ebay for something to take over in my case!!

This looks like the solution - I like the reference to scorching heat:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANADA-GREEN-GRASS-SEED-Number-1-UK-LAWN-SEED-BRAND-/160644792214?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item25672cff96#ht_1911wt_928

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Grass seed
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 14:07:42 PM »
The guy who did our garden got mixed seed from a shop opposite the place they call B&Q. It was fine but he watered the grass heavily every evening and sometimes twice a day in the very high heat. When he seeded the garden they used a load of sheep droppings as fertilizer.

Although we were not paying for the water as it came from our well, I still thought that maybe I was wasting a precious resource. If we had not sold our villa I would have replaced the grass with pebbles in the spring.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
Grass seed
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 15:46:34 PM »
The small garden shop in Gunlukbasi sells mixed seed at 10tl per kilo, I have watered my grass most evenings in the high season and every other day now it is cooler and it looks fine, but new seed does need soaking at least twice a day till it gets established.
Mark

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
Grass seed
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 16:22:41 PM »
Mark - 10 ytl a kilo - you manage to find better bargains than Anne (Mercury) - were you originally from Yorkshire as well? :D

I think I might be having a little ride to Gunlukbasi in January!

Ps Not being green fingered is it as simple as scattering on the surface in February when the ground is moist and water every day until the end of October?

Or do I have to create lots of little holes with a fork and then scatter it about?

Offline Julesp

Grass seed
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 18:52:24 PM »
I tried planting grass seed in my old garden and wandered why it seemed to only grow in clumps So got more seed for the bare patches and noticed that ants were are walking off with it and disappearing down holes! So i presume you need to rake it in well and keep it soaked !

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Grass seed
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 15:41:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Mark - 10 ytl a kilo - you manage to find better bargains than Anne (Mercury) - were you originally from Yorkshire as well? :D

I think I might be having a little ride to Gunlukbasi in January!

Ps Not being green fingered is it as simple as scattering on the surface in February when the ground is moist and water every day until the end of October?

Or do I have to create lots of little holes with a fork and then scatter it about?

When I laid my lawn in UK, I raked over the soil, scattered the seed then covered it with more soil so that the seed was hidden. I then trampled all over the area & watered, around a month later hey presto I had green stuff growing through  ;)

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
Grass seed
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 20:00:17 PM »
"When I laid my lawn in UK, I raked over the soil, scattered the seed then covered it with more soil so that the seed was hidden. I then trampled all over the area & watered, around a month later hey presto I had green stuff growing through"

Ahhhh - but you women are experts at tramp...... - no I have had second thoughts :D :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 20:01:40 PM by Ian »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf