Author Topic: Feeding a lawn.  (Read 6351 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Re: Feeding a lawn.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:54:20 AM »
Another reason for problems can be Mole Crickets.  The adults are large beasties that burrow under the lawn and eat the roots.  The babies are tiny and black and jump about in front of you as you walk, as they get older they turn brown. 

Known here as Danaburnu.  You need to ask for Danaburnu ilacı.  They told us to mix the powder with bran or flour.  This made a right mess.  One place had a fluid, and I wonder if that might be better, but it is supposed to be used late spring, I think, so, it might be too late for this year as it works on the babies and maybe they are too big now.....

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 20:24:15 PM »
No nothing like that. Sounds horrific!!! I am sure we just need the grass feeding. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that when the builder laid our "lawn" there was only about 2 inches of soil if that and a lot of that has washed away with the rain that we get here in the Winter.

Offline WendyA

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »
Not sure if you managed to improve your lawn? Ours' looked lovely when the villa was new nearly 3 years ago and gradually faded to look like weeds, particularly on one side. I use Engin to look after the garden when I'm not there and he, too, blamed builders' rubble, so he has just rotivated and re-seeded. I look forward to seeing some grass when I arrive shortly and, hopefully a good lawn again later in the year!!
Let's hope so...! Hope you've managed to get yours' looking better.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »
spray the whole ground area with a systemic insect killer might work, or a contact insect killer which cuts down the moths and the ants.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
I would ask the guy with the Garden Centre at Ovacik, he seems to be able to get anything you want.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 16:56:23 PM »
Has anyone had "mouse eared grass" lawn laid, as when I've checked this out on the web it would seem its a weed. Or am I looking at the wrong stuff ?
Also does anyone know if you can get Bermuda grass in Turkey as this seems on research to be quiet tuft and should take the weather ok.
Many thanks in advance

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 17:22:17 PM »
There's a little shop on the rear of the Everyday Fruit and Veg Market that does seeds and bulbs. He stocks a range of grass seeds including Bermuda and Mouse Ear. I know a few people who've had the Mouse Ear and they're very happy with it. It's much slower growing and more compact than regular grass so it needs far less maintenance.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 08:39:45 AM »
Cheers kkob, gone for the Bermuda grass with a little other seed mixed in. Gardeners on the job as I type I hope as still in UK
Do you still drink tea at the little place in the fish market?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 09:05:48 AM »
We haven't been back to Turkey for some time c1, and it looks unlikely that we'll be seeing it in the near future.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf