Author Topic: Plants for new pots  (Read 4280 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Plants for new pots
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
The present Mrs Tickets has purchased three lovely garden pots, one is about 500mm high and in diameter, the other two ar about 350mm high and in diameter.  We are not particularly great gardeners here in Turkey, so we are looking for recommendations from the more experienced amongst you to make recommendation as to what plants to put into the pots.  We are looking for good size in relation to the pots, good colour through much of the year as possible and we want them to be perinials (I think that's the right term).  Oh yes and they will be in a set of sunny positions.

Look forward to your recommendations, turkish names would be useful for when we go to buy the plants, as indeed would any recommendations for a place to buy them.

Thanks in advance.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Plants for new pots
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
Geraniums always look good and have lasting colour most of the summer and you can plant other smaller plants around them too.

I would avoid fuchsias. They look fantastic at the garden centres and markets but I have tried 3 times to grow them here in pots and in the ground and every time they die.

Shop around for best prices and to see what is available but the nearer to Migros the more expensive they will be.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »

geraniums and pertunias. Both last through most winters and the pertunias reseed as well.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Plants for new pots
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
We found the ones near Migros expensive too

The one on the main road near Ciftlik is our favourite now.
Geraniums do well in pots and survive until the next year.
We bought a fuschia last year, it lasted 4 days!
Have look in other people's gardens and see what they're growing. We had never seen a fuschia in anyone's garden, now we know why!

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
Another plant to consider is Russellia. Flowers most of the year will thrive in a pot, easy to maintain and prune if required, loves the sun, just keep watered though it is supposed to be drought resistant, but in our experience plenty of water is good. Looks great in a med/large pot on the ground or better still an elevated position. Pool Balustrades or the like. Bright Red or there is a yellow flower too, red is the prolific flowering one.    :)

We have  bought our from Nazdem G. C. on the Dalaman Road. Many others sell them too. We paid 20TL last year to replace one but it depends on the size. Plenty of green is good on a new plant. A Red and a Yellow flowering in one pot look great.. The garden centres know the name Russellia

Planted in the ground they grow much bigger, but just as colourful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russelia
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:00:04 AM by ovacik2 »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:37:31 AM »
There is a married couple with a young son, and they have a stall at the Calis Market, they sell some lovely plants we have bought off them many times.  The have lots of variety in their plants which are good quality and start from an amazing 4 lira each for mature potted plants.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 16:30:15 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions on plants and where to get them, all are taken onboard.  We are not going out to buy until early next week, so other ideas and suggestions are most welcome over the next day or so.  :)  :)

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 19:33:40 PM »
I would avoid fuchsias. They look fantastic at the garden centres and markets but I have tried 3 times to grow them here in pots and in the ground and every time they die.
I too have tried Fuchsias, potted and looked lovely for maybe a week or 2 if I was lucky... and then left with a dead plant :(

To change the subject... sorry.. I have a Lavender plant that I planted maybe 1 1/2 years ago... doesn't seem to be growing much though. I have noticed that in the rainy months it does get bombarded by water as it is directly under a drip from my neighbours roof... is this the reason? If it is can I dig it up and move it without killing it?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 19:56:55 PM »
For plants that are hardy through harsh summers and punishing winters I can recommend banana trees. We had two and killed them several times, often quite severely, only for them to resurrect themselves and take over the garden again. It was a battle that lasted four years. In the end I had to concede defeat and leave.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 20:15:43 PM »
SunnyD lavender plants like dry soil so maybe a move would be a good idea. Also lavender plants they need feeding if you want them to flower.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf