Author Topic: Ants  (Read 4588 times)

Offline dycedon

Ants
« on: August 09, 2013, 14:21:03 PM »
I have tried searching the forum for a solution to getting rid of Ants, seem to remember a powder called Nippon and something you can pick up in Turkey from the DIY shops, would appreciate some help on this one.

Offline snowtop

Re: Ants
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 15:29:16 PM »
A guaranteed powder I use is called Alban 2 Dust from most places that sell gardening accessories I  Turkey.  if I remember right it cost me 7TL for a red and white box (1kg) which i bought  2 years ago and is still as strong as when I first bought it

It is very effective, not expensive and you only need a slight dusting around the nest area and Bingo!!!!

Offline dycedon

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 15:43:26 PM »
Can you use it in the house on say work surfaces

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 18:42:33 PM »
NO !!!!  :o :o

Offline GordonA

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 18:48:05 PM »
Seriously Dycedon; Nippon & Alban 2 contains Chlorpyrifos; read on.

Chlorpyrifos is an organophosphate, with potential for both acute toxicity at larger amounts and neurological effects in fetuses and children even at very small amounts. For acute effects, the EPA classifies chlorpyrifos as Class II: moderately toxic. The oral LD50 for chlorpyrifos in experimental animals is 32 to 1000 mg/kg. The dermal LD50 in rats is greater than 2000 mg/kg and 1000 to 2000 mg/kg in rabbits. The 4-hour inhalation LC50 for chlorpyrifos in rats is greater than 200 mg/m3.[16]

Chlorpyrifos poisoning has been described by New Zealand scientists as the likely cause of death of several tourists in Chiang Mai, Thailand who developed myocarditis in 2011.[17][18][19] Thai investigators have come to no conclusion as to what caused the deaths,[20] but maintain that chlorpyrifos was not responsible, and that the deaths were not linked.[21]

Research indicated in 2006 that children exposed to chlorpyrifos while in the womb have an increased risk of delays in mental and motor development at age 3 and an increased occurrence of pervasive developmental disorders such as ADHD.[22] An earlier study had demonstrated a correlation between prenatal chlorpyrifos exposure and lower weight and smaller head circumference at birth.[23]

Among 50 farm pesticides studied, chlorpyrifos was one of two found to be associated with higher risks of lung cancer among frequent pesticide applicators than among infrequent or non-users. Pesticide applicators as a whole were found to have a 50% lower cancer risk than the general public, which is attributable to the nearly 50% lower smoking rate found among farm workers. However, applicators of chlorpyrifos had a 15% lower cancer risk than the general public, which the study suggests indicates a likely link between chlorpyrifos application and lung cancer.[24]

A 2010 study found that each 10-fold increase in urinary concentration of organophosphate metabolites was associated with a 55% to 72% increase in the odds of ADHD in children.[25]

Studies have shown evidence of "deficits in Working Memory Index and Full-Scale IQ as a function of prenatal [chlorpyrifos] exposure [as measured when the children reach] 7 years of age."[26] A 2012 study showed that the insecticide is more harmful to the mental development of boys than to that of girls.[4]

A 2011 study on the neurotoxic effects of chlorpyrifos showed that chlorpyrifos and its more toxic metabolite, chlorpyrifos oxon, altered firing rates in the locus coeruleus. These results indicate that the pesticide may be involved in Gulf War Syndrome and other neurodegenerative disorders.[27]

Offline dycedon

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 19:08:28 PM »
OK Gordon

Offline dycedon

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 19:09:33 PM »
Wake me up when i fall asleep reading this please,seriously cheers for that, ill stick to raid then.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 20:15:02 PM »
After reading the post from Gordon, I have just put my Nippon in the dustbin, (well wrapped,of course!!) >:(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 18:59:56 PM »
Our Turkish neighbour taught us to use slices of cucumber to discourage ants ... and its right they don't like it and keep away, would be good to use on a worktop I would suggest ... unless Gordon knows something about the chemical construction of cucumbers??  ;)

Offline GordonA

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 00:33:40 AM »
Ah cucumbers, all I can say is; "they don't like it up 'em" !!   :o : :)  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf