Author Topic: Tomato plants struggling.  (Read 3469 times)

Offline sannyrut

Tomato plants struggling.
« on: August 07, 2014, 13:14:49 PM »
This year,because of the almost continuous hot weather near Glasgow,the tomato plants have struggled.The varieties,Shirley,Moneymaker and black Russian have almost finished fruiting.I have cut back two Shirley plants which are now starting to fruit again.The tomatoes I have picked soften too quickly.The upside is my grapevine has several large bunches,best ever,and the chilli plants are going crazy.Well,ups and downs.No problem.Like a challenge.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Tomato plants struggling.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 15:55:25 PM »
Picked my first outdoor tomato (Moneymaker) today. Inundated with runner beans. Hedgerows groaning with blackberries, i'll pick some more during the teabreak at the Test Match and turn them into coulis tomorrow.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 17:10:25 PM »
I have 12 mixed variety tomatoes in growbags outside the greenhouse, doing really well.
I've been picking them for 5 weeks. Runner beans in grow bags doing well, picked first meal
2 weeks ago. Cucumbers in the greenhouse started well but after the first few they all grew
yellow and have almost died off now.Chilli and bell peppers in the greenhouse doing well.
Lettuces all bolted.Tried some Chinese cabbages for the fist time and they did well.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 17:39:37 PM »
Kevin, what part of the country is that?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 18:01:16 PM »
Colwyn

Birmingham, just over one hour from you. The plants are Moneymaker,Moneycross,Alicante & Ferline 5.
Iv'e tried a bush tomato in a tub but it's all foliage and a few fruits that look like Gooseberries.
Watered with Miracle Grow until the fruit set then twice weekly with Wilko's Tomato Feed.

Offline sannyrut

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 13:16:41 PM »
Now picking off the salvaged fruits and cutting down the dying plants.I have for next year ordered rootstock tomato seed and am going to try and graft them onto Shirley scion.Hope it works.Never tried it before.Nothing ventured etc.Anyone tried this and advice would be helpful?White grapes are now sweet enough to eat.Always look on the bright side.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:02:41 AM »
hi sannyrut
If you Google "grafting tomato plants" there are loads of sites giving information.
I've never tried it, let us know how it goes.
My tomatoes are still doing well, 6ft high and lots of fruit, the cucumbers weren't
brilliant,I think lack of humidity in the greenhouse. The runner beans are coming towards the end,
the peppers are going well.i've got some horseradish in the greenhouse, never grew that before.
After the strawberries finished I cut them back and have got a second crop,small but sweet.
Happy pottering.

Offline sannyrut

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »
Hi Kevin 3.Will let you know.Oddly enough I have had too many cucumbers this year and not many of our relatives like them.Sod's law.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 15:03:49 PM »
I've just picked the last of the tomato's and put them in  trays in the garage to ripen slowly.
The best year ever, never had so many fruits per plant. The runner bean plants turned yellow
weeks ago but they've continued to grow lots of beans.A very good year all round,the flowers
and shrubs did well, more butterflies than normal and I still can't get over the number of young
birds all through the spring and summer.I filled the feeders this morning and right now there
are approx' three to four dozen out there. Fantastic year.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf