Author Topic: Garden birds  (Read 6539 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Garden birds
« on: August 07, 2014, 17:38:02 PM »
Has anyone noticed a change in their bird population? We've always had 2/3 Blackbirds,2/3 Robins, 2 Wrens
but very few Sparrows for years.For the last few years we were inundated with Magpies and every couple of
weeks they would congregate on a neighbour's roof, up to 20 at a time. This year we're down to 2 and we are
now crowded out with Sparrows. In the spring we had approx' 40 young emptying the feeders and we now have
a similar amount, They've bred twice and so have the Blue Tits that use our nest boxes. Total change.!!
But very welcome.

Offline patrice

Re: Garden birds
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 20:38:33 PM »
We seem to have  large number of magpies and pigeons  in the garden this year  :o

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 21:10:35 PM »
I told mine to pi55 off but I didn't specify Kent.     :)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 21:48:26 PM »
I have two swift nests either side of the gable ends of my house, its been brilliant to see the parents dashing about feeding them, but its all gone quiet so I presume they have gone.  Have tried many different feeders to entice other birds into the garden, but mainly end up with groups of squabbling starlings, lots of pigeons and very little else.  I suppose living next to a nature reserve, and on the edge of the fens by a river, means they don't need my pathetic offerings but I shall carry on trying to entice other birds here by whatever means !!

Offline micky mouse

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
Over run with blue tits this year,two pairs of jays come down this year,one spotted woodpecker that cut a hole in one nest box to try to eat the young.Apart from the common mappies,pigeons,ravens or rooks not sure of which breed they are,we do see the odd robin or wren and the odd blackbird or thrush.Mind you i do have a dove house and 8 breeding boxes in the garden and with farm land behind the house and a church next door we are blessed with many birds,that of course if you put out plenty of food out to attract them.

Offline quackers

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 13:26:26 PM »
If anyone ın Uk wants to know where all the sparrows are they are on holıday ın turkey ın our garden along wıth 3 paır of jays, great tits ,collared doves and robıns ın the wınter. They are all welcome .

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 14:32:46 PM »
In our previous house we had blue tits nesting in our box every year for 25 years - or one year when we having an extension built. In our present house it has always been great tits. Except for the past two years when the box has been empty. Curiously this coincides with our daughters buying us a TV camera box as a Christmas present. Maybe I'll have to give in to their demands for performance fees.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 15:55:12 PM »
I love Great Tits .......I'll get me coat

Offline patrice

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 18:09:29 PM »
Are you missing a Robin as well Kevin3 because we have a new visitor in the garden   ;)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 19:32:31 PM »
I sent him for some feed    back.     ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf