Author Topic: wood for woodburner ?  (Read 5352 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: wood for woodburner ?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 10:00:40 AM »
You can buy sacks of logs and kindling from Cesc Market in Ovacik, just down from Bims opp. Ay Market and barbers, and I am sure he will deliver too.  You can also get a sack of kindling from him too.  The logs he sells are the softwood type, nice and quick to burn, but the downside is they burn much quicker than hardwood, and so you use more, pkus they are 'dirtier' in chimney terms.  I am not sure of Cesc prices though, but based on personal previous experience he will almost certainly beat the twisting old bark from the garden centre - and believe me Cesc and his Mrs are no Angels on the charging front!!

It might also be worth considering getting a big load delivered from the log yard.  The logs do not go bad and in fact are better burners if left longer to season over a year or two PROVIDING you keep them dry.  The log yard I use can be found on the Curusula Road (not the correct spelling I am sure!!) which is the road going from the main Gar Roundabout - not the Gunlakbasi Road or the road into the town centre - it is the right hand turn on the roundabout if coming down from Ovacik.  The log yard is about 1.5-2 km from the roundabout on the left-hand side.  Very helpful people though they're english is limited, but a cay while you wait for your logs to be loaded, and the driver will follow you home to deliver the logs.  He will for a small consideration also stack the logs for you!  Price is about 320TL for a metric ton of softwood logs or 360TL for hardwood.  You might want to consider a ton of mixed soft and hardwood?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:36:49 PM »
Unfortunately the nearest peat bog to Calis might be in the county of Sutherland    ;)

No, it is in Aberdeenshire.  We have one not far from us and we used to pick up the peat in our trailer.  We know the owners very well and they charged us 65p a bag !!! 

Offline patch

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 13:26:48 PM »
@usedbustickets .thanks for that .I agree with you about the man at the garden centre as ive had dealings with him before . I also use Ali a lot from ces market but probably need hardwood.  I haven't got anywhere yet to store a large quantity of logs as I need to have a storage place built. But want to try the wood burner when we are there in May .thanks for everyones advice.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 22:36:57 PM »
I've never had any issues with Saffet at the garden centre and bought many things from him.

The last 2 sacks of hardwood (he didn't have any softwood in stock at the time) were just to get me through a couple of days before we had central heating installed. He charged 20 lira a sack which was the same as the charge from the wood yard on the Saniyi earlier in the year.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf