Author Topic: Toxic plant?  (Read 2630 times)

Offline mel binks

« on: July 18, 2015, 16:14:33 PM »
Cutting back in th garden this morning and now I'm covered on my arms and hands with red spots. They're itchy and burn when I scratch and I think this is the culprit. I don't know the name of this plant but the leaves are prickly almost like nettles. I've been like this once before without realising it was from the garden, and it was the doctor in the local clinic who told me it was an allergy. Now on antihistamines and cream to put on. Is it just me or is this a plant to be aware of?

Offline SteveJ

Re: Toxic plant?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 16:40:51 PM »
Judging by the leaf shape and the fact that you say the leaves are prickly then it looks like a type of Verburnum, possibly "Pink Beauty". The Verburnum family of trees and shrubs are known for causing skin irritations and if you touch it and then you wipe your eyes or forehead it can cause an allergic reaction similar to hayfever. The Sap can cause a contact hypersensitivity reaction so if you've been cutting it and you have come into contact with the sap then that could be the cause

My advice, especially if you have got kids running around, is to dig it up by the root ball, replace the surrounding soil and plant something else in its place. Otherwise just steer clear of it and wear gloves and long sleeves next time.

Offline mel binks

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 06:57:31 AM »
Thanks for that Steve. I will use gloves next time, and probably long sleeves as well.

Offline Mrs T

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 20:26:46 PM »
I agree. Shrub verbena, commonly called Lantana.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 21:30:28 PM »
Very attractive to bees and butterflies.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »
forgot to add - don't eat the berries or you will have the running shizkebabs for days   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf