Author Topic: Hesitant on Turkey 2016?  (Read 59498 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Hesitant on Turkey 2016?
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2016, 13:30:02 PM »
HM Gov travel advice has been updated but only to incorporate recent news. No change in the advice which continues to recommend no travel within 10 km of Syrian border and only essential travel in most close-by provinces (Sirnak, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Kilis, Hatay, Siirt, Diyarbakir and Hakkari and also Tunceli. In addition, tourists advised to avoid large demonstrations in major cities. No special advice is offered for either Istanbul or Ankara except to follow instructions from local security authorities.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2016, 14:09:27 PM »

It was reported yesterday that Germany's Foreign Ministry's Website was warning " that further violent clashes and terrorist attacks

are expected across Turkey."   Germany's TUI travel are offering free cancellations.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2016, 19:16:49 PM »
It's not looking good - I mentioned in another topic that the flights I was watching went UP after the attack on Turkish tourism. Well, I decided to take a look at how things might be looking, booking wise.

I know it's far from specific science and at best only a broad glimpse - but when I pretended I wanted to pre-book my seats (so I could see how many people already have), on a return flight that is 198 seats (33 rows x 6), just three have been pre-booked. Normally they are scattered across and along the plane in fairly significant numbers.

That sounds pretty bad :(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2016, 06:12:27 AM »
Expect more flight amalgamations and cancellations from the charter operators, which I suspect will push folks (who know the score) towards Easyjet and Jet2. 

How it will affect pricing I'm really not sure - thinking back to 2003 when GW2 kicked off, I seem to remember flights to Istanbul being pretty cheap for a few months. 

JF

Offline Dry Pete

« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2016, 17:46:15 PM »
Some people are definitely concerned with the security situation in turkey, as I've now had 3 cancellations for 2016 holidays at my villa in Calis.

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2016, 17:55:58 PM »
We still intend going unless HMG advise against it or Jet2 cancel our flights and we cannot arrange alternatives.

Offline pops

• Craig
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2016, 18:18:28 PM »
Although this is not Calis related, it is Turkey related and probably relative to this post.
We are going to Icmeler this year. We booked it in October and decided to go unless HO advice meant that we couldn't. Today I had a message from the owner of the apartments we are staying at (we've been there many times) telling us that today he had an "urgent meeting" with Thomson regarding the decrease in bookings for 2016 and the increasing number of cancellations.
Our friends we usually holiday with are still undecided and out of curiosity, I entered their details onto the Thomson website as a "bogus booking" identical to our booking to see if prices were coming down to reflect what Thomson were telling the hoteliers.
It seems not.
Our booking done in October was £888
The same booking today would be £1166
TotallyConfused.com

Offline fernando torres

« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2016, 19:18:27 PM »
If the price of flights continue to rise then anyone just wanting to book a flight may be better off booking a package, I'm sure there will be lots of cancellations on package holidays

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2016, 19:28:38 PM »

Today I had a message from the owner of the apartments we are staying at (we've been there many times) telling us that today he had an "urgent meeting" with Thomson regarding the decrease in bookings for 2016 and the increasing number of cancellations.

I wouldn't take Thomson (or any other major tour operator) telling hotel/apartment owners that things are bad as evidence that things are bad.

Just as likely it's them taking bad news as an opportunity to screw the owners down (again).

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2016, 20:52:00 PM »
We have monarch flights booked and paid for , for June. We paid £1 deposit on the Manas park ( now our place is sold) . I'm giving it til April and will take a view then . At worst I'll lose the cost of the flights but if things deteriorate there's no way we'll be going.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf