Author Topic: Turkish Airlines can be cheap if you persevere  (Read 4116 times)

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
Turkish Airlines can be cheap if you persevere
« on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:44 AM »
I have been looking at flights to Dalaman from Manchester for the last 2-3 weeks but the only flights in early March where with Turkish Airlines and the prices weren’t too bad but a little bit over our price range £500+ (for 2) so started looking further afield and came across Pegasus from Stanstead which where a lot cheaper at the time but not really wanting to travel to Stanstead 3hr + drive for me so I kept it as a last resort. At the same time the wife decided that she wanted to go somewhere else (not Turkey) so I looked at Tenerife got a bit of a shock £900+ for a week self-catering in a 3*** hotel including flights, why the shock for the last 9 years just booked flights as we have our own apartment anyway I decided let’s look at Antalya 3-4 days there then bus down to Calis so back on Turkish Airlines and lo and behold £345 for 2 including 23kg luggage and meals and drinks (result) all I had to do was wait for the wife’s rota to come out to finalise the dates then yesterday it came out so straight on the laptop to book the flights now the rout was Manchester to Antalya via Istanbul then Dalaman to Manchester again via Istanbul so tried booking on the Turkish Airlines website it gives you the choice to book multiple flights so I did
Manchester-Antalya 9th of March
Dalaman-Manchester 18th of March
The price as said £345 once I had gone through the several pages of different flight times it came to pay well this is where the excitement turned to disappointment as the computer said error please come back later well I did on numerous occasions but to no avail.
So I started again but this time one way to Antalya and one way from Dalaman but to my surprise the one way ticket for 2 was nearly £600 can’t afford that so one last desperate attempt I tried it this way (bearing in mind the option of multi city booking) all separately
Manchester to Istanbul
Istanbul to Antalya
Dalaman to Istanbul
Istanbul to Manchester
A bit long winded but it worked cost £341 for 2 with 23kg bags meals and drinks
Now that’s what I call a result  8)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Turkish Airlines can be cheap if you persevere
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:27:47 AM »
You dont have to "persevere" in relation to prices, THY are as cheap as chips just now, its connections that are the issue as the late Dalaman from Istanbul hasn't started up yet.

If you'd went out from London and back to Manchester its direct to Dalaman and even cheaper (under £160pp) and saves the trip from Antalya - obviously if you want to spend time in Antalya thats different.  I hope it's open!

JF

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »
problem with that John is I live in Middlesbrough so would have to travel to London then back from Manchester so the cost of travel  trains, planes or automobiles would not make it worth while also the flight times to Antalya are far better from Istanbul but not to bad from Dalaman 08:20 from Dalaman getting me into Manchester at 15:30 with a 3hr stop over in Istanbul

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »
also I might have lost the meaning of the post with my ramblings but the premise of the post was the actual inputting of the information IE each flight inputted separately to get the best (for me) prices   :)   

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
Yeah, I got what you meant.  All I was pointing out was that by doing a bit of travelling in the UK for your outbound leg would have got you direct(ish) flights out with the same flights back (to MAN).  All depends on the individual, some would rather do that, some wouldnt.  It'll all change once the late night DLM flights start up anyway, no need to go to Antalya from EDI or MAN.

JF

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 13:16:56 PM »
When all the cheap operators where on the go like goldtrail for one I have travelled down to Gatwick to get a £90 flight but the savings aren't so great anymore mores the pity

Offline Fran

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 13:25:28 PM »
I've just paid £315 for 2 flights Manchester to Dalaman, with Turkish airlines. Travelling next week, got quite a wait at Istanbul but hoping to use one of the lounges.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 13:34:01 PM »
I've just had a quick look on Skyscanner for those dates and you could do Newcastle to Antalya via Amsterdam (AMS) and SAW for £330pp returning via the same route.

Granted it means another airport change but it means you haven't got to spend time or money travelling to Manchester.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 13:52:14 PM »
got quite a wait at Istanbul but hoping to use one of the lounges.

Nothing like an overnight stay in Ataturk.  Worth remembering that not all lounges are open 24/7 - even when they advertise as being that.  The THY lounge shuts after last flight leaves as does the Emirates one.  Not sure out the others what might be your best bet for PAYG, CIP maybe?

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 14:47:20 PM »
The Botanik Cafe in the Domestic Terminal is worth a visit if you like authentic Turkish food. It's where a lot of the airport staff eat and it's very cheap compared to some of the concessions. It's tucked away in a corner but well signposted and it's open 24/7.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 15:01:08 PM by KKOB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf