Author Topic: Things Are Looking Even More Grim for Turkey 2016 Season  (Read 9524 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Things Are Looking Even More Grim for Turkey 2016 Season
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 02:23:07 AM »
I'm still allowed on the Sensatori page and it seems as busy as ever. There's a thread asking who's going in May with 370 replies.

Maybe they see the security of the AI as something to keep them safer? Not sure on that one father Tunisia tbh.

Offline philrose

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 13:05:56 PM »
Have yet to have this confirmed as fact but several Turkish friends have said that work on the new all inclusive, being built on the site of the Seketur, has ceased. The reason being that there were so few advance bookings it was not worth continuing....

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 13:35:50 PM »
Mibbe someone should point this out to the Culture and Tourism Minister who doesn't think there is a problem.  He's quoted as saying "While the tourism sector will see turbulent days for a while, I believe we will overcome this turbulence. I do not see severe trauma in the sector" recently.

He probably reckons all the Islamic tourists from Iraq etc will "balance the books".

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 13:55:03 PM »
If he reclassified all the 'refugees' from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan as 'tourists' that would make his stats look better. Job done!

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 13:57:39 PM »
Have yet to have this confirmed as fact but several Turkish friends have said that work on the new all inclusive, being built on the site of the Seketur, has ceased. The reason being that there were so few advance bookings it was not worth continuing....
I am going to pop round there and take a look as to whether there is any work going on or not.  I will report back.... Inspector Tickets

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 20:13:39 PM »
I am going to pop round there and take a look as to whether there is any work going on or not.  I will report back.... Inspector Tickets

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you all, I was distracted by an excellent shave in Gunlukbasi, and a very excellent corn beef hash cooked by the fair hand of the Present Mrs Tickets, blinkin marvelous it was too. 

Anyway enough of the food report, I went round to look at the building site.  Aside from one guy welding a gate in the security fence there was no one else on site that I could see, nor any plant or cement mixer lorries etc.  All the gates were shut ... so yes I'd say that work has come to a stop, based on the fact that a week or so ago the place was a mass of activity.  Mind you the roads are still churned up from the lorries, and I bet the wonder mayor will not have them fixed before the season starts.  So the roads around the front continue to look a mess, - even by normal Turkish road standards - and I'd say are close to dangerous in and around the now closed 5 star AI Hotel building site.

Offline Jack13

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 21:47:27 PM »
there seems to be a lot of work at the back of seketur. looks like a big hotel. ubt?

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 04:40:24 AM »
Yes it will be a very big hotel in Calis terms, but only when it is completed, but when will that be?

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 22:18:06 PM »
curiosity bought me on here, plus the fact it was easy to get a new password,    :) nowhere near as many of our usual friends/family are going this year, we've just decided to go and booked it, but, if things got worse I wouldn't hesitate to pull out, just got to be optimistic now, and hope everything will be ok,

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 22:22:54 PM »
lovely to have you back laffa, I've missed you on here.

If recent past history is anything to go by, we will probably miss each other again this year but if we do Brenda and I hope you and Kenny have a lovely break.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf