Author Topic: Turkey in UK News  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Turkey in UK News
« on: March 08, 2016, 18:28:13 PM »
Turkey has been under the spotlight today in UK news media. Following yesterday's proposed deal between the EU and Turkey questions have been raised about Turkey's reliability and suitability as an EU partner - let alone EU member. The coverage has highlighted things we all know but many UK and European leaders wish to ignore: that Turkey has an appalling human record; that freedom of expression is under attack (e.g. Zaman); that the independence of courts is dubious. In addition I've heard doubts raised about the the stability of the Turkish economy. There has even been a Kurdish spokesperson interviewed on BBC radio. An academic from a UK university was asked if these things were improving to allow Turkey to be considered for EU membership - oh no, she replied, they are getting much worse. But Turkey is a buffer between Europe and Syria, and also provides NATO airbases for the USA to bomb Syria, so governments aren't going to say too much about these things.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !

Offline Stuart T

Re: Turkey in UK News
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 19:59:25 PM »
Just read it all KKOB - somewhat difficult to argue with it (plus, I don't really know enough to challenge the views she puts forward).

Any enlightenment welcome.....

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:25:05 AM »
So much bad press in the English papers at the moment about Turkey in general  :( and the recent news from the UTI that UK bookings to Turkey for 2016 are already 40% down on last year..it really is going to be a bumpy ride for tourism businesses this season... and many will `go under ` I feel   :(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
This what Katie Hopkins has to say about it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3482557/KATIE-HOPKINS-Turkey-s-migrant-blackmail-plan-remember-scene-Midnight-Express-know-poor-kid-felt.html

Soon as someone makes serious comment on Turkey and refers to Billy Hayes wonderful piece of fiction, Midnight Express, they lose all credibility.  I suppose that put the eloquent and knowledgeable Ms Hopkins into a state of negative credibility...

JF

Offline Steve A

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
Katie Hopkins ! As if her views are worth a ****e,the woman who called Adam Johnsons 15yr old victim a slag and publicly states that although guilty Johnson is not a paedophile .Wont even bother to read her ever again.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 10:42:12 AM »

I am no fan of the self publicist but, her assessment of Turkey today and the Migrant situation is I think  spot on,

as is her descriptions of the politicians / leaders involved.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 15:00:21 PM »
 She may not always be right but I agree with Kevin on this one she's got it spot on.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 15:34:30 PM »
So folks (after now bothering to actually read her article) what has she got spot on?

All she's done is pile together assorted snippets (some correct, some not) from a variety of sources and presented them as... (what?)  I'm not really sure what this is.  Comes across as a rant from someone who doesn't understand the topic she's actually writing about, with thinly veiled racist undertones.

Thank you Ms Hopkins, its been a blast - shame I wont get the two to three minutes spent reading your scribblings back.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 15:39:02 PM »
,the woman who called Adam Johnsons 15yr old victim a slag and publicly states that although guilty Johnson is not a paedophile .

Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children, generally age 11 years or younger.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf