Author Topic: Ankara Explosion  (Read 4477 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Ankara Explosion
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
Aye, the very select few. 

Without wishing to appear overly harsh or cynical, I was also wondering this morning if Polis or other security forces were injured or killed...

JF

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »
Someone I know has been speaking on line to a Turkish friend and says he's been very guarded in what he types. Seems to think everyone is being watched. Also said there was a news blackout.

Where will this end?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 09:43:49 AM »
News blackout is now standard whenever a serious (terrorist) incident occurs - Facebook and Twitter were blocked as well for many.

Ankara governors office were round at a judges house within minutes getting a quick squiggle on the order to block the internet and news media. 

US Embassy issued this earlier today:

Last week, the U.S. Embassy became aware of threat information through a Turkish government warning circulating in social media. After ‎confirming the warning with Turkish authorities, the embassy issued a notice to all American citizens in Ankara – both government employees and private citizens – and to Turkish employees of the U.S. Embassy‎, as we routinely do when we learn of Turkish government information about threats"

Well bugger me, no-one I know in Ankara - or with connections to Ankara, got a message on TW or FB telling them that.  Maybe they don't mix in the right circles, or are best chums with Bilal the benevolent.

JF

Offline micky mouse

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
One bomber a woman beleaved to br PKK 37,dead todate over 125 injured todate,will people stop going to turkey on holiday after this episode,i wonder im over for 6 weeks soon and dont have a problem to travel as its been going on for years these bombs.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »
I think all of us feel sorry for all those effected, this is a heinous act and will do nothing other than stir up hatred and slow down if not kill of the tourist trade further. These terrorists hide amounts the normal citizens and I always feel someone must know something about them. US and Israel and to some extent ourselves has integence agencies, and sometimes I think they share info. Although not sure who they trust to share that with.
Terrorism has stopped holiday traffic to nearly the whole of North Africa so that effect the normal people living in these countries who relied upon tourism to feed their families.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »
Did anyone get a warning from the UK Government?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
Here's the US embassy page:

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/warden_information.html

Heres the UK embassy page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-ankara

The FCO travel advice for Turkey remains pretty much as it has done for months, although they do mention the recent bombings.  No specific advice given.

JF

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 14:21:07 PM »
The PKK have been bombing for years. They don't want East Turkey to develop because they are trying to control that area. Schools and hospitals have been bombed in that area and any help sent to help civilians the terrorist blow up ambulances. You see a lot more on Turkish news than western media. Turkey is developing and always something happens to bring it down again.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 15:36:56 PM »
You see a lot more on Turkish news than western media.

Mibbe.  But Turkish news is now at the stage where they will show you, what they want you to see, and hear.  Sources like Al Jazeera, France 24 are far more impartial than the Turkish media now (ninety odd percent of all media is pro AKP). 

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 18:21:50 PM »
Here's the US embassy page:

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/warden_information.html

Heres the UK embassy page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-ankara

The FCO travel advice for Turkey remains pretty much as it has done for months, although they do mention the recent bombings.  No specific advice given.

JF
The American advice when it is specific or heightened alert is sent out to those citizens who register.  It is sent out by e-mail and text.  Typical UK government, you have to go to the web page and see if it is any different than the day before... truth is this sort of advice delivery is as much use as a chocolate fire-guard.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf