Author Topic: Hello! I'm a newbie!  (Read 5786 times)

Offline Jillyjinx

• Newly Registered
Hello! I'm a newbie!
« on: April 25, 2016, 18:15:39 PM »
Hello to you all from Devon
So....complete newbie (please be gentle with me!). My name is Jill and my nickname used to be Jillyjinx (mainly because I was always in trouble!). I am a "young" Nana and my daughters are all grownup now (youngest is in my pic with me). I'm heading to Calis on June 27th ....on my own!! Eeeekk!
I booked an apartment and then found your amazing forum which has made me feel so much better about holidaying solo.
I'm still slightly scared (translate to - freaking out what the hell was I thinking!?).
Any tips, encouragement, warnings, dos and donts will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I have questions but I've read the rules! I'll go find the right place for them promise.
Shoutout to Highlander....the restaurant guide is a god send thank you!
Hope you're all having a good week and thanks for reading my gabble.

Offline Bluwise

Re: Hello! I'm a newbie!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 19:03:42 PM »
Hi Jill and welcome - ask away!
If I was holidaying alone, then Calis would be my choice.  Very friendly, no riff-raff  ;D and plenty of places to choose from for dinner/drinks.  The main street and Prom are well lit so you should be safe but usual rules apply, don't walk home alone down the side streets.  Taxis are plentiful at the rank and not expensive.  Have a fabulous time!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 19:11:44 PM »
I holidayed alone in the area many times, without any problems. Found it so friendly & comfotable that I made the move here 5ish years ago. As Bluwise has said the usual rules apply. Have fun

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 19:24:10 PM »
I have often stayed in Fethiye on my own, no problems

Offline Jillyjinx

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 19:58:36 PM »
Thank you it's so nice to hear from women who have gone on holiday on their own, it can be daunting. Also I think and worry some people may get the complete wrong idea - me personally I'm just really looking forward to some good old R&R with my kindle! Can't wait to explore too I'm a huge snorkelling fan and the beaches around the area look perfect. I'll be making full use of the taxis as; a - I'm lazy and b - I wouldn't be able to find my way back to my apartment!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 20:23:01 PM »
The present Mrs H has spent holidays in Calis on her own numerous times (mainly to get away from me for a fortnight  :-[) and never had a problem.

That having been said she stayed at Letoon and didn't stray far from the prom (or on the odd occasion at Scarlett  :)) so didn't have far to go home.

If she went into Fethiye it was always in company.

Bluwise gives good advice re side streets and taxis. It used to be the case that bars and restaurants would be happy to organise taxis.

Just may be a good idea to check the cost before getting in.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 21:05:26 PM »
Hi Jilly
Welcome aboard.
Which apartments are you staying in?  We can then help with directions as a taxi may not be needed, the dolmus may pass by  :)
I'd be sure to book a boat trip if you like to snorkle, lots of lovely bays to stop off at during the trip
Have fun

Offline Jillyjinx

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 21:34:14 PM »
Thank you again John, I won't be going into Fethyiye in the evening I'll prefer to stay local I'm hoping I'll find a couple of places I really like and feel comfortable in the evenings to have a drink and some food and stick with them.
Hi Anne and thank you, I'm staying at the Dawn apartments I think it's 1042? The owner sounds lovely we've chatted on the phone and the guys that run them Echo (?) have got good reviews. They also run Dawn beach restaurant so that'll be my first port of call.

Offline swindsor

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »
Welcome Jillyjinx - love the nickname!   :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
Welcome Jill hope you enjoy cbf and your Calis holiday.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf