Author Topic: The end of secularism in Turkey?  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
Re: The end of secularism in Turkey?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 11:25:54 AM »
An interesting piece.  Erdoğan in 1999 when he was mayor of Istanbul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpPRldR32w

Subtitles are available.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 11:36:53 AM »
Some time ago, perhaps 8 or 9 years, I listened to a BBC Radio 4 programme that set itself the target of determining whether Gulen was: on the one hand, a moderate Islamic cleric who sponsored a non-fundamentalist, open movement that was inclusive of other religions; or, on the other hand, a dangerous wolf in sheep's clothing who was lulling people into a sense of false security before springing a trap and capturing Turkey. They interviewed pro- and anti- spokespeople, educationalists, academics, journalists and politicians in Turkey and the USA. At the end of the hour the programme came to its conclusion. Qustion. Moderate and open, or secretive and dangerous? Answer. We can't really tell!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
Answer. We can't really tell!

I think thats the problem - no-one, outside the Gulen organisation, really knows what his motives are.  Saying that, we can make an educated guess given his close alliance with Erdogan over the years!

Until Erdogan and his cronies were outed as being corrupt money grabbing little men, they were as thick as thieves.  Since then its been all out war between "the state" and the so called "parallel state" with, in many commentators eyes, "the state" being ahead on points as we stand. 

The systematic purging of the judiciary, the Polis and the media has allowed Erdogan to pretty much do as he likes, without interference from anyone.  Hence his anger when the supreme court went against his wishes and released the Hurriyet two.  Incidentally, the owners of the Hurriyet, Dogan Media Group have been under attack from the government for the past few years - tax fines, trumped up charges of aiding terrorists etc.  To quote one publication "Erdogan reviles Dogan Media".  Why?  They're the last of the major media groups not under government control.

All his tactics have done is driven the supporters of Gulen under the radar - I suspect there is still a lot of support for him, it just cant be shown at present.  I could be wrong, but my gut feeling is that he is a far more powerful individual (within Turkey) than a lot of folks think.  Ironically, the biggest threat to the Gulenists isn't Erdogan but Gulen state of health.  Without him as a figurehead I'm not sure how they will progress their cause.

Gulen comes across as a moderate - he has to else he'd be out on his ear from the US.  But that then beggars the question, what exactly is a moderate (within Islam) when we're discussing the Turkey of today?

Not sure I know the answer to that one.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf