Author Topic: Democratic resistance - a dangerous road?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Democratic resistance - a dangerous road?
« on: November 07, 2016, 13:03:56 PM »
The latest swathe of arrests, detentions and seizures haven't gone down well in parliament, with the exception of the MHP who seem quite comfy with it all.  Makes you wonder what they've been promised...

This article in the HDN sums up how the CHP are feeling, and its fighting talk:

The Republican People’s Party (CHP) has called on the Turkish people to use their right to democratically resist in light of the growing undemocratic moves of the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government, citing the arrest of opposition leaders and Cumhuriyet journalists as a major blow against democracy and human rights.

Worrying.  In fact very worrying for a country I have a great affection for.  Worth reading the full article.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Democratic resistance - a dangerous road?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 13:59:50 PM »
How far a long the road does CHP become identified as a "terrorist organization"?

P.S. How did Fethiye become an MHP island (with AKP second) in a sea of Mugla CHP?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 15:23:44 PM »
Mugla has three CHP deputies, two AKP and an MHP.  Locally its DP I think.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 15:35:23 PM »
Yes, I was thinking more about the Mayor. He seems to have been too extreme even for the MHP, got thrown out and got himself re-elected at the next election as an Independent. Is Fethiye an especially right-wing part of the world compared with the rest of Mugla - which in 2011 General Election voted  CHP 45%, AKP 33%, MHP 16%.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 18:05:13 PM »
Its the usual scenario with local elections, folks vote for the man as opposed to the party.  Traditionally Fethiye has always been pretty conservative in respect of local politics, maybe not right wing but certainly to the right of centre.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf