Author Topic: Holiday thoughts...well, it was suggested !  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Holiday thoughts...well, it was suggested !
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 16:47:10 PM »
I suppose it also depends on your definition of Calis - is it the beach area (everything past the bridge) or the whole settlement. I love all of it but it hasn't got any great history apart from the beach part. To some that makes it a tad characterless or soulless but not to me.

I also love the location because you have the seafront, the bay view, glorious sunsets, and so many things within striking distance - Sovalye, Yaniklar, Fethiye, Olu Deniz, Hisaronu (yes yes now and again), Dalyan, Kaya Koy, so many little bays and beaches like Gemiler & Gunluklu, Faralya and who could forget Uzumlu.

How did I do? I've sold Calis Beach to people once or twice in the past.

Got it in one.  That is exactly how we feel. 
The front has no appeal for us now apart from Aroma beach club during the odd day, but the surrounding areas keep us coming time and again

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 19:49:33 PM »
I think I’ve sold it to you previously too :D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
I suppose it also depends on your definition of Calis - is it the beach area (everything past the bridge) or the whole settlement.

First time I was in Calis would have been 2002/03 or thereabouts - beach, prom and over the bridge.  Didn't do it for me, I was quite happy to head back to Fethiye after a couple of hours wandering and a beer or two.  The beach especially I found pretty disgusting with the usual detritus of tourists and locals, fag ends, BBQ rubbish, empty cans & bottles and dog crap. 

Took our girls over once a few years later as they wanted to go to a beach and I wasn't up for the hike to Olu - they were still quite young and none of the beaches round the corner from us in Karagozler had been developed at that time.  They liked the shops selling all the tacky beach stuff.

Further east, heading away from the prom, just feels (to me) like a residential extension of Fethiye.  Similar style of properties and similar street layout - bit more space though, not as tight as some areas of Fethiye.

I can see the attraction, and have never criticised anyone for choosing to live in the area, however its just for us.  Probably some could say similar about living way out in Karagozler 2, too quiet and not for them.  Lucky we're all different, eh?

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf