Author Topic: Value for money  (Read 6927 times)

Offline Bluwise

Value for money
« on: September 13, 2018, 20:49:21 PM »
I am amazed at the value for money we are getting currently.  I had read that prices had increased due to the exchange rate etc but this past week we have noticed hardly any increase so feel we are getting a fantastic holiday for much less.  Had the flights not increased so dramatically we would be quids in.
I don't know how the bars, restaurants, taxis etc are managing as we are paying about the same as we did in June in many of them.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Value for money
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
Looking forward to experiencing this relative cheapness soon  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
I don't know how the bars, restaurants, taxis etc are managing as we are paying about the same as we did in June in many of them.

The resilience of small Turkish businesses is incredible sometimes.  The good (long-standing?) ones will ride out this lira crisis just the same as they've done with every other issue with the economy over the years.  With a small family run business everyone pitches in, from family members working in the shop, restaurant etc, to local suppliers giving credit instead of wanting cash up front. 

Unfortunately many of the others that come and go wont, and the main losers are generally the seasonal staff who end up not getting paid at the end of the season.

Don't have a lot of sympathy for Fethiye taxi drivers, way over priced for years compared to elsewhere in Turkey.

JF

Offline jackstee

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:14:48 AM »
When we first came here a half kilo of bacon in migros was 50 something per packet and that was between 15 to 18 pounds.
It has now increased to 60 something. Less that a tenner.

But like others I live here on TL so I still cant afford it. ( often )

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 13:02:28 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if the number of break-ins in the Ovacik and Hisaronu area increases on previous ends of season. That's when the lads who have come across from the east find out that their wages aren't as good as they were led to believe, and in some cases are non-existant.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 16:17:02 PM »
Looking at the menus in many restaurants it is easy to see the price ıncreases,eıther pencil erased or stickers on top. These ones will lose out in winter.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 17:59:11 PM »
No sympathy for the pressures of inflation then?

Offline madmart

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 18:14:56 PM »
Looking at the menus in many restaurants it is easy to see the price ıncreases,eıther pencil erased or stickers on top. These ones will lose out in winter.
That's if they are solvent enough to survive.

Also many of the businesses have to survive on what they make from April til October. Earning nothing in the other months.

Their rents are probably in dollars, the exchange rate collapse is probably killing them financially and you complain about the prices changing.

We were out in May and are over now. Many prices in lira have changed, when converted back to sterling we are paying less.

These people are trying to keep roof's over their heads. Please give them a break, most are not trying to rip you off.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Offline maclarke1

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 19:39:57 PM »
Inflation obviously doesn’t help with trying to keep prices down/stable. But after holidaying for a couple of weeks recently it seems that some of the restaurants on the front have certainly put there prices up above inflation. Yet the restaurants around our apartment (up by Sunday Market, so therefore not so “touristy”) don’t seem to have changed since our last visit earlier this year.

We also had a meal at Mancero and I don’t believe the prices had increased from earlier in the year, again tourists probably don’t visit as it’s not on the “kordon”

It certainly was a lot cheaper to eat out at the non tourist places this year than last, and also very appreciative that Efes had stayed around 12tlr😄

Just my thoughts

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 20:49:07 PM »

We also had a meal at Mancero and I don’t believe the prices had increased from earlier in the year, again tourists probably don’t visit as it’s not on the “kordon”

?

I might be being a bit thick here, but surely the kordon is exactly where Mancero is?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf