Author Topic: Diabetic Cat  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Blissy

Diabetic Cat
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »
We have made the move to Uzumlu with our 2 cats and all is fine apart from one issue...we cannot get the insulin required for our diabetic cat.  She is currently on caninsulin and we have now been advised by our vets in Fethiye that animals in Turkey are given human insulin.  They have given me 2 options - Humulin M 70/30 or Novomix 30.  Apparently there are import restrictions.  Because there is something similar available here in Turkey they cannot import.  The thing is it's human insulin.  Has anyone had experience or advice to give?   I'm hoping our vets in the UK will get back to me soon as to how, if possible, we can change over.Thanks.

Offline Just Marian

Re: Diabetic Cat
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 13:54:59 PM »
Hope some one will come along and answer your question soon about diabetic pets in Turkey.

We had to have one of our dogs tested for suspected diabetes here in Turkey recently and I was told by our vet that should the result be positive, I would need to get the insulin from the pharmacy here. He said it was normal and no problem.

Turned out the test was negative, so wasn't required.

But what I can say is that, I have been to the Pharmacy many times with a vets prescription for our pets!
This includes asthma drugs - which was steroids, and two different inhalers. Also more recently eye drops from the chemist for our cat who had an eye infection.

Seems to be the norm here for certain things, but I understand yours is a more specific question about the kind of insulin prescribed.

Offline quackers

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 15:00:44 PM »
Our old dog was diabetic and we used human ınsulın wıth no problems. You buy ıt over the counter at the pharmacy here. We used Humulin.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 15:53:42 PM »
sorry I too can not answer your question, but am so glad this topic has come up on CBF, in one hour's time I am taking one of my cats to the vet to see if she has diabetes, for about the last two weeks noone in the house can leave a glass of water laying around or a saucepan soaking as my cat is just guzzling water like there is no tomorrow, until yesterday |(with the help of Google!) I never knew such a condition existed in animals fingers crossed she will be ok though I am not looking forward to injecting her if the result is positive  :-X

Offline Blissy

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 20:54:43 PM »
Thanks to you all for your help.  It's reassured me and I feel more positive now. I know a really good pharmasist in Fethiye so he may be able to advise on the transition from current to human insulin as i'm not sure the UK vets will be clued up on the insulin offered here.  Will see what response I get from them. Don't worry about injecting - it's a bit nerve racking to begin with but you soon get used to it.  Our cat has done very well since she was diagnosed over a year ago and is quite oblivious to her 2 injections a day.  She's coming up to 17 and has taken on a new lease of life since leaving England. Thanks again your replies.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
good luck Blissy with sorting it all, I am sure your pharmacist in Fetiyhe will be able to help you re the insulin, if not there is the Eroglu pharmacy (opposite Migros could well be the one you use already!!) they are fantastic in there and have always helped me with all my medicines and health questions...
well my pussy does not have diabetes £100 later I am awaiting the results for thyroid or kidney problems....but thank you for the reassurance had I needed to inject her  :) how lovely that your cat has taken on a new lease of life since moving to Turkey,hope this is one day the case for me  ;) 

Offline Blissy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:27:01 AM »
Yes, we went to Eroglu Pharmacy and the pharmasist spent ages researching the exact mix and the quantity to give.  His result was something completely different to what the vets had suggested.  With his expertise and what he told us made perfect sense and he can order the insulin and needles without issue. So, good news - when current insulin runs out Cleo will be able to continue with medication which suits her needs.  So pleased with the outcome.  My suggestion for anyone with same issue is to go and seek advice at this parmacy rather than the vets...sounds daft but makes perfect sense in the long run.
Karennina, fingers crossed for good outcome with tests on your cat - hope not too expensive either! Good luck and thanks again.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 20:10:05 PM »
They really do give an excellent service in the Eroglu pharamacy  :)glad you have got Cleo sorted.
My darling girl has something not right with her kidneys, diabetes and thyroid were ruled out through the bloods.. at the mo i have to change her diet and just keep an eye on her for loss of appetite weight loss etc fingers crossed I will have her for a good while yet as i adore her  :) 

Offline billy3107

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 20:13:47 PM »
My daughter in England has a diabetic cat. She is currently using caininsulin but prior to this the vet in England prescribed human insulin. The only reason she moved to Caininsulin was because the human form came in too large a quantity and as it only keeps for one month, the smaller caininsulin bottles were better for her. Hope this helps 

Offline Blissy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 05:58:48 AM »
Karennina, hope everything goes well with your cat - fingers crossed for you.  Billy, thanks for info - our main problem will be with the actual injection - the first line is for 10iu and we have to give 5iu so will have to judge the correct amount.  We were not told about the expiry - I'll check that out.  We still have 2 vials of Caninsulin which I brought over which expires September.  Will run out of the injections though so hopefully my sister can send some out without issue.  The Caninsulin injections are marked 1 iu so easy to draw the correct amount.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf