Author Topic: A T.V. programme to watch that will be in our area of Turkey  (Read 9699 times)

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
Re: A T.V. programme to watch that will be in our area of Turkey
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 13:26:01 PM »
but I thought there was an active push to raise alcohol prices and ban advertising in the UK ours might not be for religious purposes but for health grounds we already have a ban on cigarette advertising and I am sure there was a ban on alcohol sponsoring sports events some time ago and the Scottish government where raising prices on the alcohol volume   

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 13:53:51 PM »
but I thought there was an active push to raise alcohol prices and ban advertising in the UK ours might not be for religious purposes but for health grounds we already have a ban on cigarette advertising and I am sure there was a ban on alcohol sponsoring sports events some time ago and the Scottish government where raising prices on the alcohol volume   

Similar to what I was told also in Turkey when I asked why the alcohol prices shot up a few years ago, religion was not mentioned just that the government did not want a promote a drink culture growing amongst the young. How much of that answer was true I don't know, It does sound like an easier answer to a western tourist than "than the government wants to make the country far more Islamic and its people to follow Islamic religious doctrine's ".  If it was Health surely then cigarettes would be a first to tax through the roof.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 13:56:32 PM »
I watched it too and agree with kayakebab,  If I was thinking of moving now  to Turkey this programme would definitely had made my mind up not to.   Very worrying just how things are being move by the President towards an Islamic State.  I can see in the future Turkey will no longer be a secular country.   I also did not realise that the Wine Industry was being put under such pressure with all the new restrictions being placed on Turkish Growers.  Seems like the future does not look good for them.
This programme scared me, we have already spoken about selling our place as we are worried about the political situation.   I woud advise anyone thinking of moving to watch this programme.

Moving is still on my agenda however 3 or 4 years off yet so will have to see the changes that arise! I do hope Turkey keeps its secular Identity as it has always felt so welcoming towards me, admittedly I have always been a tourist in tourist locations so only have a limited experience of the country. I fell in love with the place years ago and a large part of that was the culture the mosques, the history the diversity, and the beauty of the place and the people.

We fell in love with Turkey too. We bought our place 13 years ago.  We bought with the plan to rent out, use the place for our holidays and when Phil retired to move over permanently.    However, we loved the place too much to rent out and now have also changed our minds about living permanently.  Phil has now retired.   We like our holidays in Calis, really look forward to them, we also love our holidays in other parts of the world, which we are able to have nowadays as time is no problem,  but we also like our home, our family  and way of life in Scotland and as time goes on we worry about where Turkey is heading.  We have seen so many ex-pats moving away from the area and we can understand why.   Speaking locally in Calis, we find that the Brits are selling  and the Turks and Arabs are buying. 
However, for now, we will keep on enjoying our breaks in Turkey and watch the Political situation.   ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 14:18:43 PM »

Similar to what I was told also in Turkey when I asked why the alcohol prices shot up a few years ago, religion was not mentioned just that the government did not want a promote a drink culture growing amongst the young. How much of that answer was true I don't know, It does sound like an easier answer to a western tourist than "than the government wants to make the country far more Islamic and its people to follow Islamic religious doctrine's ".  If it was Health surely then cigarettes would be a first to tax through the roof.

With the wee fella its personal.  Yes, protecting "our youth" is the phrase used - however, Turkey has never really had a major alcohol drinking culture, certainly not in the way countries to the west of it have. 

When he was mayor of Istanbul way back in the nineties he banned alcohol from any municipal premises.  The recent legislation in respect of advertising runs deep - not only does it ban the promotion in any shape or form, anyone drinking or smoking is now blurred out on television. 

As far as taxation goes, since 2003 the price of a bottle of raki has increased by 500% with the majority of that tax (OTV otherwise known as Special Consumption Tax).  Beer and wine suffered the same fate with tax rises meaning they've increased by 423% and 235% respectively.

I'm all for the promotion of healthy choices and education (and protection) of young folks in respect of alcohol - what I don't agree with is the personal vendetta being waged against anyone who doesn't agree with the wee fellas views on alcohol.  I don't think this bears any resemblance to the various campaigns in the UK.

Tobacco is being hit just as bad - I dont have any figures to hand but I do know that in 2016, the government collected 30 billion lira in tax from tobacco products and 8 billion lira in tax from alcohol.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 02:24:34 AM »
Just watched both episodes back-to-back while at work. Very good. Thought provoking.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
Watch the second episode last night.  Once again scary stuff and worrying the way Turkey is heading.  A real eye opener, it made us both feel very sad.
We bought 13 years ago, no way would we be buying now.  I fear it may not be long before many of us may not want to come to Turkey any longer the way things are heading.
I would also think, if I had not visited before, I would be put off from visiting by this programme.
Amazing they are spending so much money on religion and yet so little on caring for the wildlife in Turkey. Surprised to see all those bears eating at a rubbish dump. 

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
Hands up who wants a job with KKOB?  ;D

Offline sadler

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »
Hands up who wants a job with KKOB?  ;D

I thought the same thing when I read KKOB's post. ;D ;D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 09:53:35 AM »
Sounds like, for a few folks, the "Fethiye Bubble Effect" has been burst - not that I am taking any pleasure in that.

Maybe Colwyn's stance against the current regime doesn't appear quite so petulant...

KKOB + Work = Nah...  don't believe it.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
I have 32 CCTV screens to watch. When it's quiet it's easy to watch a 33rd.   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf