Author Topic: Where to start???  (Read 4987 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Where to start???
« on: October 31, 2006, 21:18:10 PM »
Our house is finally on the market in England but that is the easy bit. It is going to be very traumatic getting rid of all our junk Sorry treasured possesions. Any advice? Anne x
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 22:39:23 PM by mercury »

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Where to start???
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 21:45:01 PM »
car boot sales,should get rid of a few items or have a open house with everything you want to sell with a price on it

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Where to start???
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:56:16 AM »
Tried the car boot sales for my treasured possessions (junk). It's hard Anne. I don't know where they go to in the boot sales on TV but people around here want to pay between 10p & £1 for everything.
Brand new Jaeger suit, still in polythene with tags £270 in sale (ballooned in weight just after buying). I was asking £5 & told 'You can't expect to sell at those prices!'
Treasured ornaments, household items eg. bedding still in wrappers - unless you're prepared to sell for 5-10% of original cost - give them to a charity shop as otherwise it'll break your heart letting them go for so little. The charity shops will sell them for little but you won't be there to see it & it'll do them some good.
Ebay - trouble is it takes so long to list & then you have to package up to send off BUT you might make money on some items. Check completed listings & see if it's worthwhile.
Friends & Family - give them pickings.

I'm great at giving advice - but useless at clearing my own. I'm also the worlds best at procrastination.
Thinking of cash converters - anyone tried them?
Linda

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Where to start???
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:45:20 AM »
What about ads in local newspaper and supermarkets and sell things in job lots---books, video/dvds, ornaments, bedding, kitchen and so on.  
Also is there any good quality second hand clothing shops in your area that will sell for you on a commission basis.

Offline booo

Where to start???
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 08:22:33 AM »
put things small enough to post on ebay, you will usually get a lot more money for items than at a car boot sale.
you can also put larger items on ebay but put as collection only

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Where to start???
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 08:26:53 AM »
Try  for some courier prices to ship out your special items or maybe even the good old post office. You could also consider excess baggage or perhaps offer a couple of friends a free weeks holiday providing their baggage allowance is "yours".  Travel scheduled and baggage allowance is even more. After downsizing and a massive clearout we shipped everything else as we could not just walk away from a lifetimes memories....we are glad we didn't. :)

Offline Dippey

Where to start???
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 09:20:07 AM »
We made approx £3k selling our cr&p on Ebay, and I still can't belive what people buy (including me for buying it in the first place).
Selling your house to completion should take about 6-8 weeks if the market allows and subject to chains and all that stuff.
If you set up Ebay account now and sale on 7days with paypal account you should shift a lot.

We also did boot sales, but found the outdoors ones stopped in autumn, i.e now, and start again in April. But we did find some indoor boot sales.

Forgot this bit, when you sell on Ebay make sure you weight the goods with packaging, or if weighing without add 15% on for packing materials and petrol to the post office and cark park charges.

Goodluck.
Dippz
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:24:35 AM by Dippey »

Offline Eric

Where to start???
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 10:09:08 AM »
We agree with Dippey...ebay is great as long as you have a pay pal account and allow for weight of packaging in your p & P quote. We also add about 5% on top of this to cover ebays fees  ;)
Large items get courier quotes or sell as collection only.
You can get full pricing guides from PO and make sure you state that the postage costs are UK only , all other countries to contact you for a quote.
You'll be suprised what people will buy and you'll get more than at a car boot where the punters do not want to spend much and you'll end up selling items for peanuts.
Good luck

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Where to start???
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 10:42:12 AM »
It might also be worth checking out an auction room ifthere is one near you

Offline heatherhanum

Where to start???
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:43:56 AM »
Just be merciless get rid and go enjoy yourself you lucky people
Heather