Author Topic: space  (Read 3202 times)

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
space
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
This is a problem i need to sort out ,most of my t.v. viewing is downloaded films ,but my free space seems to be getting used up very quickly ,my D drive is 135 GB free space 20.8 /my C drive is 97.5 GB my free space 66.9 ,I'm downloading on to  D at the moment ,can i empty my D or C drive or is there another drive i can go to ,cheers KKOB go and Dig the garden there's a good chap . ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
space
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
Your c drive will probably hold your operating system so I do not recommend that you 'empty' this as it will stop your computer from working.

You can re-distribute the free space but this is complicated and I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you are doing.

If your d drive is just holding movies then it will fill up very quickly as they take up lots of room. What you can do is just click on my computer, open your d drive, right click on any movie you have watched and scroll down to delete. It will then free up the space.

If you are brave and know what is on that drive - go to my computer, right click your d drive and then sroll down to format. It will then clean that drive and empty it. I would check first though that it only hold files you have saved and not any programs you want to keep.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
space
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
ive got plenty of room on my drive lance we can get at least 3 cars on it cheers.:D

Offline Stan

space
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by KKOB

ive got plenty of room on my drive lance we can get at least 3 cars on it cheers.:D

Make sure its a hard drive ,or else they'll sink . ;) ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
space
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
I shuddered when I saw this - "Space" by Lance - I was fearing a "Why are we all here" type question  ;)

Another thing to check Lance is the settings for downloading videos - you can possibly reduce the quality (making each file smaller) but not reducing the quality of the video to the eye/ear much at all. I copied all our kid's feature films and our home videos (and there are many) onto a USB external hard drive and take that when they stay at Grans, when we are on holiday etc and have them to watch - many tellys now have a USB port now so you can use them in hotel rooms etc. You can get them for small money now and are very useful - and free up your laptop/desktop hard drive.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
space
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 13:37:58 PM »
....or buy yourself an external drive which you can connect by USB to your computer. This will call itself your E drive and a 500gb one is fairly cheap. You can then place all the files on there and only keep on your computer the ones you want to watch that day/week

Offline BlackAdder

space
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 21:45:30 PM »
Theres a program called TreeSize Free (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/) which lets you see what's taking up space.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
space
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 21:58:26 PM »
In fairness he knows what is taking up all the space. It's his extensive p0rn selection :D

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
space
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 20:19:28 PM »
Oh dear...I sorted this problem once...Lancie boy, get the old Grey matter working...Remember the tuition about making sure you transfer the downloaded films from the laptops D drive to the "little red portable drive type thingy" to free up the space to download some more? No you don't remember? I damn well do lol.

Download overnight, transfer onto portable drive, repeat daily...

or

buy a decent laptop & pay me to be your film manager!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 20:20:18 PM by Supacabby »

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
space
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 21:47:27 PM »
No mate not forgotten all of it ,emptied the bin that got rid of some i am downloading over night and all day as well hows things going .[?] ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf