Author Topic: Salads  (Read 4171 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Salads
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 15:54:44 PM »
Aww don't got menthol coming over for barbecue tonight. Slik,s been helpful and made the salad..I'm not sure
What's gone in,last saw hot green peppers been sliced and red cabbage..might have to go n give it a once over with lemon juice n olive oil and hope for the best..:-/

Offline suehugh

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 16:16:14 PM »
Generally, if you have a flavoursome or spicy meal, a leafy lettuciy side dish can be the perfect foil. Rather like boiled rice with curry, or mash with a beef stew.
Some of John FS combinations sound good , so might give them a try and would probably add some herb leaves.
When I see a restaurant offering a salad dish, I fully expect a load of lettuce, cucumber and toms but also expect a good portion of the fish, chicken etc atop the green base.
If a salad appears with no green or red leaves, to me it's not a salad but rather just another meal.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 19:24:02 PM »
I found a few of the salads I had were  just a thick bed of lettuce and a very little amount of meat/fish on the top.   One of the most popular restaurants in Calis we visited last year had wonderful salads.  I was disappointed this year as I had a bowl full of lettuce with a tiny amount of tuna on the top.. i think people would be surprised where this was.   However, best salads where the Istanbul Restaurant in Kayakoy.  We  ordered chicken salads for lunch.  Firstly we were brought out a huge platter with a freshly baked loaf, goats cheese, olives and garlic bread as a free starter and then the salad which was full of chicken and had a lovely tomato, onion, olive and cucumber base which was not overwhelming.  The starter bread was the best we have had in Turkey and we asked the owner Engin where we could buy it.  He told us it was made on the premises.   We then got coffee on the house and I got a free ice cream cone.  Total bill with drinks..less that £14.00.
Second place for a great salad the Deniz Yildizi on Fethiye sea front.  Again chicken salads for lunch.  A bowl with huge pieces of chicken breast (which was hot) on a small bed of salad.

Offline sadler

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 19:51:35 PM »
And are you going to tell us where this was Jacqui?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 20:46:44 PM »
Don't tell 'im ya Maj !

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 21:45:42 PM »
I have to say I have rarely been disappointed with salads on Turkey  so much more flavoursome than in the UK... Hubby and I often skip starters and share a mixed salad instead- Iskele by the Marina is a particular favourite. Can't wait to be there on Thursday!

Offline Lotty

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 22:12:22 PM »
I love the salads at the Yacht Classic. They use every fresh herb available mixed in with various baby leaves and add all the other usual salad ingredients. It's superb served with their own delicious dressing. Mmm yummy can't wait.   :)

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 06:10:56 AM »
And are you going to tell us where this was Jacqui?

Istanbul restaurant in Kayakoy
Planning to go there soon. :-)

Offline sadler

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »
What I was after Suzipink was the well known one in Calis which gave a good salad last year and a bad one this year which we would all apparently be surprised at!  In my view, unless places are named it is not very helpful to comment either recommending or running down.  ;)

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »
Sorry Sadler, yes, come on Jacqui, spill the beans

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf