Author Topic: Electric Shower  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Electric Shower
« on: January 05, 2012, 19:49:34 PM »
I have one of those covered plug sockets a few feet from the shower in the bathroom so can I just put an electric shower on the wall and connect it to the mixer taps and put a plug on it and plug it in?

I know we frown on plug sockets in bathrooms in the UK but we have 3 sockets in our bathroom so possibly there is a different approach in Turkey?

Offline scorcher

Electric Shower
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 20:03:05 PM »
Shaver sockets Ian ? Not enough power rating. I would seek expert advice on this - far too dangerous to be wrong !

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Electric Shower
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 20:42:00 PM »
Safer to use Bayram's skills Ian as recommended by Karaokemark on a posting earlier today.

Regards Geoff  :)

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
Electric Shower
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »
I just wondered if it was safe to use a straight forward plug on the end of the shower as I thought a shower always had to be wired to one of those square sealed sockets ( you can tell I am not an electrcian) but this was fitted by Bayram yesterday!

He did say there was an automatic safety cut off built in to the shower unit and he has disconnected the previous immersion heater and used the same fuse in the fuse box so that we can turn it off / isolate it - but the plug & socket approach suprrised me.

He came witihn 15 minutes - he fixed a dripping loo and only charged me 145 TL but the plug surprised me and I don't know enough about electrics to question it.

Offline Diverbaz 1

Electric Shower
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »

Mines the same Ian, you see washing machines plugged in in the bathroom as a norm here, it's the Turkish way.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Electric Shower
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
Ian, can i ask if the 145tl was for supply & installation of the shower or just for fitting? If you supplied your own what make etc did you get?

Thanks

Offline BM06

Electric Shower
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Diverbaz 1

Mines the same Ian, you see washing machines plugged in in the bathroom as a norm here, it's the Turkish way.

If that is the way your shower has been fitted (as above) may I suggest you wear a pair of rubber wellingtons when taking a shower, Turkish way or not:-\ my advice would be to get a qualified electrician to do the job properly before taking the plunge, open sockets are a big no no anywhere in the world in a wet area :o
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 13:45:36 PM by BM06 »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
Electric Shower
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 13:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments - he did say when you want to switch it off better to flick the fuse switch which is only a few feet outside and I guess it is the Turkish way as I have seen many washing machines plugged in ... in the bathroom as you say.

Liz ... shower was 120TL supplied and fitted. It is the low end of the market but it was what he had in his van (the Turkish way again) and he clearly wanted to do the job there and then!
It has 3 settings and is only 7.25 KW so maybe 8KW would be bettter but works fine for us.

it worked very well this morning and I have replaced the cheap white rubber hoses with 2 chrome ones (immitation chrome of course) that I bought from a cheap shop (10 TL) this morning and it now looks much better .... nay almost classy :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf