Author Topic: IPad 3G Question  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
IPad 3G Question
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:43:40 AM »
If you buy an IPad 3G in the UK, do you need to go through the same registration process as with bringing in a mobile phone if you want to use it in Turkey?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: IPad 3G Question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:35:45 AM »
I don't actually know the answer to your question but it is something that I have wondered about.

I concluded, but I may well be wrong that the answer is no because they can't cut off the ipad in the same way as they can cut off a mobile.

Would be glad to hear from some one who knows as planning to bring an ipad back with me but can't find the one I want with 3g at the moment.

PC world seem to have the best deals I can find on ipad 3 at the moment if that is of interest to anyone.

Offline dycedon

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »
We take the ipad across on a regular basis but only use it where wifi is available, could possibly cost you a lot of money if you used 3G but then again i might be wrong.

Offline Fran

IPad 3G Question
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
I used mine with the 3G last year, I had a Turkish mobile that wasn't working but the sim still has 50 lira on it. We cut the sim down to a mini one, and used it for about 4 days before coming home. Once back in the UK I switched the data off. I intend using it again when I come back in May. I don't know how much credit is left on it or if it will still work, but If no one else comes up with the answer I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:32:33 AM »
Being a bit of a techno phob I've been a bit confused by this 3g business on the ipad - from what you said Fran and what has been slowly dawning on me over the past day or so is you need a provider for 3g - after all it has to be paid for.

So for me with wifi is enough, its freely available everywhere here in Turkey.

Offline thekeyclan

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »
we have been using our iPad in Turkey for about 2 years now, we use a Turkcell pay as u go sim and costs 39 lira for 4 weeks or 4g whichever comes sooner. I think you can also buy a weekly package with 1g for 12 lira. When we first bought the sim we did have to register the iPad at the same time. I know wi-fi is freely available, but having access in your own accommodation we find very useful. As an aside we are in Ovacik, and on 3G we regularly Skype back to the UK and both audio and video are normally fine.

Offline Eric

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 13:32:32 PM »
I bought a Samsung Tab 10.1 3G version in Fethiye this year.  It was about £50 more than in the UK but the warranty is here, not in the UK.  Don't know about having to register a UK one here but when I tried to buy a SIM card for it here they wanted my passport!  so did not bother.  The main reason for the 3G was for when we visit the UK and visit/stay with family, who do not have internet, or when we travel across Europe, we can still access said internet.  Fi did this a few weeks back, went to phone shop (in UK) to buy SIM cards for phone and Tab and was told she did not need both.  Just get 3G card for phone and then 'tether' tab to phone and hey presto internet access for Tab through phone.  He showed her how to tether and it works.  So if you have a modern phone (iphone Samsung Galaxy etc) you don't need 3G sims for both, just tether the tablet to the phone.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 14:59:05 PM »
Thanks Eric that is useful. I was just going to ask if not having the 3g on the ipad meant it wouldn't have the facility to take a sim card but from your reply above an iphone would enable 3g if needed for the ipad if wanted. Is this correct?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 16:19:43 PM »
Can anyone tell me is an ipad (no number) with iOS6 better than an ipad 3 with iOS 5 for example?

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 16:37:50 PM »
You mean is the latest version ipad better than the version before? Yes.....it is better. The version of ios does not matter as you can update both to the latest version

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf