Author Topic: Pension entitlement for widowed servicemen,  (Read 1121 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Pension entitlement for widowed servicemen,
« on: April 09, 2014, 13:39:29 PM »
Why should widows of servicemen be allowed to continue to claim the Widows Pension, if they re-marry, as is being campaigned for, when other widows cannot ??
  My father left a reserved occupation, from which he could not have been conscripted, and served in the Royal Navy during WW11, seeing heavy action in more than one theatre of war. At wars end, he went " down the pits ". and stayed there until forced into early retirement upon the closure/contraction of Scottish coal pits, by Thatcherism. Unfortunately, my Father died suddenly at the age of 64, and my Mum was awarded, rightly, a Coal Miners' Widows Pension. My Mum has never re-married, but if she had/did, she would automatically lose her right to her Widows Pension. What makes a serviceman's widow different from my Mum and thousands of others like her ?? In my opinion, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and no, I am NOT shouting, preferring to call it; " Expressive Emphasis ".

Offline quackers

Re: Pension entitlement for widowed servicemen,
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 15:48:57 PM »
I totally agree.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
Me too  :-\

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »
I have to agree with you Gordon.

Offline sadler

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 15:51:48 PM »
If the like button worked, I would press it for this one.  Was surprised to hear that pensions still carried on for soldiers' widows, I thought any pension for a spouse ceased if they remarried.  :o

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 16:04:50 PM »
"" Campaigners have called on ministers to change rules that mean 80 service widows a year have their pensions taken away.

Currently, if a member of the armed forces dies while off duty, the Ministry of Defence makes their widow give up their spouse's pension if they remarry or cohabit.

The rule has been in place since 1973 ""

I copied the above from a BBC site, it appears from my interpretation that, if the serviceman dies, or is killed whilst on duty, or Active Service, seemingly his widow is entitled to keep her pension, whether she subsequently re-marries later or not, why should she continue to keep this money when she re-marries ?? Imagine the , not impossible scenario, she marries at 18, her husband is killed/dies 1 year later, = Pension, she re-marries at 21, husband is killed/ dies 1 year later, = another pension, because she was entitled to keep the 1st one !! This could go on ad infinitum.

Meanwhile, widows of men in EVERY other occupation MUST surrender their pension rights upon re-marrying !!

Offline snowtop

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 16:22:37 PM »
I am an ex 22yearer and fully agree with this post.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf