Author Topic: Another (sort of) nail in the coffin of democracy  (Read 1503 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Another (sort of) nail in the coffin of democracy
« on: March 21, 2017, 19:46:52 PM »
This one seems to have been given little prominence in the media, apart from in the HDN.

There is a dispute between Akbank staff and management over new contract terms and renewal of existing contracts.  The banking union, BANKSIS, had been negotiating with management but failed to reach an agreement.  The union decided on strike action - I've no idea what form this was going to take.

So...  what happens next?  The government actually issue a decree stating that any strike action would be "deemed contrary to economic and financial stability" and stated that it will be resolved by the Collective Bargaining Agreement High Arbitration Board. 

In a nutshell, the workers right to withdraw their labour in relation to an industrial dispute has been removed by the government.  Irrespective of whether you agree or disagree over strike action, this is another instance where the current administration has removed personal freedoms from the guy (or guyess) in the street.

I'm wondering, is it a coincidence that Akbank is owned by the Sabancı family, the most powerful family business in Turkey, or can any company faced with strike action whistle up a cabinet meeting?

JF

Edit: a bit background here https://news.sol.org.tr/trade-union-declared-strike-akbank-government-postponed-immediately-171836

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf