Author Topic: Operation Goat Watch  (Read 6814 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 13:03:22 PM »
No they can't do what they want, there are Turkish laws as in the UK protecting animals from cruelty, it just needs enforcing.

Offline Linda

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 13:19:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by nichola

A few days ago I went on the request of the Animal Shelter Manager who had received a complaint from a tourist about the goat being tied up there in the heat of the sun.

I explained to a senior member of staff that it is illegal under the Turkish Animal Protection Law to keep animals outside of its natural habitat and that it is also illegal to use animals to attract customers into their bar/restaurant.

You are quite right Tinkerman .... Nichola stated that she went to the Yalcin at the request of the Animal Shelter Manager following a complaint and that it is illegal under the Turkish Animal Protection Law.

Tourists and residents must be vigilent in reporting anything we deem as cruelty and must not be of the mind that we have no voice as we are "told what to do".

Offline hillside

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 14:03:15 PM »
Couldnt agree more with Linda. Sorry Simpsons I dont understand your attitude - so its not an isolated act of cruelty so therefore theres no point doing anything about it? Lucky others dont think the same.

Offline simpsons

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 14:20:20 PM »
There are many laws in Turkey that are no enforced ie The crash helmet law, so why should this one be different. We never really comment when we see a motorcycle with 3 people on it and a toddler standing up at the front. We find this amusing. but then again maybe human life is worth less than animals life. Look at the orphanage the Fergie went into. No one seems to worry anymore about that. Or maybe it is just me that notices these things.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 20:10:33 PM »
Sorry maybe i missed this. What is that about please the orphanage that Fergie went into?

Offline hillside

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 20:30:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by simpsons

There are many laws in Turkey that are no enforced ie The crash helmet law, so why should this one be different. We never really comment when we see a motorcycle with 3 people on it and a toddler standing up at the front. We find this amusing. but then again maybe human life is worth less than animals life. Look at the orphanage the Fergie went into. No one seems to worry anymore about that. Or maybe it is just me that notices these things.

So, other laws aren't enforced so therefore no-one should help a suffering animal [?] People (or their guardians) are responsible for their own actions - not so helpless animals used as tourist attractions. I've read several articles recently about Turkish Orphanages but if someone has the time to devote to that (as others have done for causes close to their hearts) maybe the profile could be raised?

Offline jonuzumlu

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 21:29:07 PM »
Thanks Nicola

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 21:37:47 PM »
Anne, it was an undercover filming of Sarah Ferguson visiting some orphanages in Istanbul. Harrowing viewing I'm afraid.
some links on google....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chromeie=UTF-8&q=sarah+ferguson+orphanage+istanbul

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 23:17:54 PM »
Thank you for that. It makes harrowing reading.

Offline Linda

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 01:13:24 AM »
It does but so does the plight of the goat outside the restaurant !!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf