Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 79096 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Brexit
« Reply #480 on: February 22, 2019, 17:53:47 PM »
I think 'oh Jeremy Corbyn' is on his last legs. The party is losing not only MP's but also thousands of members due to his refusal to sort out the anti semites and his refusal to have a clear strategy on Brexit.

Gone by the time the next election comes.

I think the opposite might happen. I'm a Labour supporter by the way before weget any further into this   :)

I admire Jeremy Corbyn, his humanity, his compassion etc and I have to say that people are very difficult to please - let me explain.

Politicians are expedient in their DNA; I understand that in a basic poll on the Begum woman 99% were in agreement that she should not be allowed to return to the UK (and again for the record I firmly am one of those 99%). The natural sense of a politician with a 99% vote share is to get on it and ride it - yet Corbyn stands by his priniciples on human rights and similar and is pulled apart.

But back to my thoughts that it may be the opposite to Stoop's idea that Corbyn could soon be gone. As I see it, I see Corbyn is mainly guilty of not grabbing opportunities to be popular and I can see a future where his Labour party with Abbott and the like remain, fiddling while the party disappears into near obscurity - and Social Democratic/New Labour type parties rise.

Do you want your elected MPs to do what is popular, or what is best, or what will get them re-elected, or what their concience & principles tells them is the right thing to do?

Offline saoirse

« Reply #481 on: February 23, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »
Couldn't agree more

JC very much a politician with true principles whom I am proud to have met on 2 occasions

When you look at the Brexiteer leadership rabble for example Johnson etc- they have and would switch their positions as and when it suited purely for personal advancement and political expediency.  Absolutely no principles whatsoever purely career politicians

Another Mp I truly admire -a Brexit supporter and a critic of JC- is Dennis Skinner.  Again a man of decency honesty and principles

In Britain you do actually have some decent honest and principled politicos despite a general feeling that they are all bad

Offline saoirse

« Reply #482 on: February 23, 2019, 09:31:29 AM »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #483 on: March 29, 2019, 11:41:01 AM »
Best summary and suggestion I have heard on the subject from an informed onlooker - you need to go to 2hrs 37mins of The Today Programme and listen to the interview with Lord King.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0003jvs

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #484 on: March 29, 2019, 13:08:11 PM »
This anti Semitic thing is a complete red herring;  the right wing press whipping up anti Corbyn sentiment.  Not much mention of the tory’s Islamophobia in said press.

If being against Netanyahu’s attempted annihilation of the Palestinian people is anti Semitic then I am too.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #485 on: March 29, 2019, 14:20:42 PM »
My most recent post was referring to the interview this morning with the former governor of The Bank of England who stated calmly and coherently that he was of the opinion that there is no evidence of any significant economic downturn if we walk away with no deal.

His preferred option now - is to inform the EU that we intend to walk away and would like to agree a 6 month extension so that final planning and contingencies can be implemented by all parties to make that process as smooth as possible.

This is a man who speaks from a qualified position.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #486 on: September 11, 2019, 22:29:08 PM »
 Hi, just checking in. How are you getting on with brexit?

Any progress?

Who are leavers blaming, these days?

Offline davybill

« Reply #487 on: September 12, 2019, 06:47:14 AM »
As for Corbyn not grabbing opportunities  to be popular,
He changed his mind that many times and Labour they dont know what they want.😤😤😤

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #488 on: September 12, 2019, 08:10:41 AM »
Ah, I see it's Corbyn's fault.

Offline davybill

« Reply #489 on: September 12, 2019, 12:24:15 PM »
Could be your fault Villain,who knows ?😎😎😎

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf