Author Topic: Advice on alarms please.  (Read 2586 times)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
Advice on alarms please.
« on: August 11, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »
Ok, as you know I was burgled a few weeks ago. My daughter is supposed to emigrate to Australia in September, however, she is threatening not to go because she is concerned about my safety. I have suggested getting a burglar alarm so that she'll stop worrying about me.
So, advice please for a very reasonable alarm system, bearing in mind I have a cat.
TIA
Mary.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Advice on alarms please.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 12:43:11 PM »
The thing is Mary, what will be the purpose of the alarm ? To scare intruders away ? To attract the attention of neighbours or passers by ? To bring to your attention that you have intruders ? People take very little notice of alarms these days.

Unless the alarm is going to have a worthwhile effect, you're wasting your money. You'd be better off making the property secure by installing more secure deadlocks and deterrents like high fencing, barbed wire, prickly bushes, non-drying paint, gravel on paths and drives etc.

Offline marina

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 13:13:44 PM »
Have to agree with KKOB here mary  :o
We don't have an alarm but our neighbours had one fitted a few months ago and for the first few weeks it was going off regularly until they got used to the fact that they'd got one! It didn't have people rushing out to see what was going on we just thought oh ****** they've set it off again!
We've done a lot of the things KKOB mentions, the high fencing particularly makes it difficult to get in and out of our garden quicky.
Good luck,  x

Offline scorcher

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 13:45:11 PM »
But having said all of the above will it be enough to placate Mary's daughter? After a burglary in the UK my local Plod suggested a dog would have been a good alarm system and a wonderful companion as well!

Offline mary62

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 15:26:42 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I think some chain locks and bolts are a good idea.
I couldn't have another dog. I had to have my dog of 15 years euthanised last year, and it broke my heart.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 18:20:22 PM »
Thank you for asking this question Mary reason being we went to look at a house yesterday that has an alarm system fitted and I dont know why but it made me uneasy, there was also a neighbour hood watch sign screwed to the front of the house of course the agent was not going to say its a high crime area...good luck in getting sorted out with something youl feel happy with   :) totally agree with you re not getting another dog after losing your one of 15 years last year, we also had to do the same with our precious cat of 15 years last year and I was the exact same as you totally heartbroken and said Il never have another  pet again  :'(

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 19:17:00 PM »
We have an alarm both here and in Turkey.
We set it every night and when we are out. The main reason we have one is to alert us if someone breaks in.
We were broken into in Turkey about 10 years ago and we slept through it. Not a good experience.
KKOB is right though that nobody really goes to investigate an alarm going off these days.

Offline mary62

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 23:14:35 PM »
Thank you for asking this question Mary reason being we went to look at a house yesterday that has an alarm system fitted and I dont know why but it made me uneasy, there was also a neighbour hood watch sign screwed to the front of the house of course the agent was not going to say its a high crime area...good luck in getting sorted out with something youl feel happy with    :) totally agree with you re not getting another dog after losing your one of 15 years last year, we also had to do the same with our precious cat of 15 years last year and I was the exact same as you totally heartbroken and said Il never have another  pet again  :
My piece of advice re potential moving house is ALWAYS view the house at various times of the day, over a number of days. This is because
1) you can get a feel for the area
2) you can see any potential pitfalls
Hope this helps Marina.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 02:42:30 AM »
Hi Mary. We have lived at our current location for 40+ years and have never had an alarm and luckily have never been burgled.
For other reasons I got equipped with CCTV a few months ago. I can view my home from Turkey or anywhere else on my mobile or my tablet and now feel a lot more secure.
I think the CCTV cameras are a bigger deterrent than any alarm box.

Offline mary62

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 11:37:23 AM »
Thanks KenKay. Will look into cctv.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf