Author Topic: Paper Cheque in dollars  (Read 1494 times)

Offline sueling

Paper Cheque in dollars
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »
I have been sent a paper cheque made out to me in US dollars.

Im usually based in the UK but have a Turkish property and a Turkish HSBC account.

Please can anyone tell me if it is possible to pay this cheque into my Turkish HSBC account without incurring any charges. (its only for 128.82 dollars - about £80).

At the moment I only have lira and sterling parts to my current account. I was thinking that I could open a dollar part to my account, leave the amount in dollars and change it into turkish lira at my leisure.

Offline maecy

Paper Cheque in dollars
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »
My experience of cashing dollar cheques in Turkey has been that it is very slow with one to three months processing time. I am not sure of HSBC's policy but most banks either have a flat rate charge on the cheque or a percentage charge. A lot of dollar accounts also charge a yearly fee. For a small cheque the UK is probably simpler.
Mary

Offline sueling

Paper Cheque in dollars
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

This daft cheque is turning out to be a problem.

Its just that my UK accounts are all sterling oriented
whereby Turkish accounts are much more open to foreign currency.

Im trying to pay this in as cheaply as possible.
Dont mind it taking a long time.

Offline maecy

Paper Cheque in dollars
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
You would want an account that charges a percentage of the cheque then. The flat rate ones would eat up too much of the balance. Not sure if you can pay dollar cheques into a lira accont or what the charge is on them. However it is worth asking if you will then be charged a yearly rate for opening the dollar account - definately now worth it unless you will be getting cheques regularly. I hope you find a solution!
Best
Mary

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf