Author Topic: Property for rent  (Read 11302 times)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Property for rent
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »
If you register and are straight about the costs,sensible with pricing,your friends and family will still have cheap accommodation

It's not just the registering though.  It's the accountant (and their fees) to do your annual tax returns.  For us, like Stoop, it's just not worth the hassle

Offline Phil

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 16:37:36 PM »
We registered and "went legal" last year and so far the whole thing has been hassle free and not hugely expensive.

If you used to say to your relatives and friends "you can stay in our villa if you pay a contribution towards the electric and pool maintenance" you could now say "you can stay in our villa if you pay a contribution towards the electric and pool maintenance AND pay registration costs, VAT and tax" the difference would not be massive and they would still be getting a cheap holiday.

There is not really any hassle at all.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 17:21:29 PM »
Good post Phil.

So how much do you charge your Auntie Jeanie for a week in the sun, just the registration element?

JF

Offline Phil

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 19:03:39 PM »
The phrase "you can stay in our villa if you pay a contribution towards the electric and pool maintenance" has never been one I have used.......................

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 19:19:47 PM »
Ha ha, me neither. But, many on here do - if you were one of these less generous individuals, how much would you lump on to Auntie Jeanies bill for the week?

JF

Offline Phil

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
The amount I would charge would depend on whether she was staying with Uncle Albert in a two bed apart in May ( not much aircon use) or if she was bringing her daughter and son in law with two teenage grand children and staying in a 3 bed Villa in July ( loads of aircon ) and was then going to leave a massive pile of laundry.

But to give a more helpful answer, we put our prices up by £50.00 / week and with the help and advice of the accountant we are probably covering the extra costs with a few quid to spare.

However ................... I am still waiting to see if there are any further taxes which are effectively paid in arrears.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 10:06:16 AM »
Ok, so effectively the extra charge to friends/family to cover registration, tax and accountants fees is approximately £50 per week?

I know a lot of folks have decided not to register because of the extra expense, I was hoping that your experience may help other make an informed decision.  At £50 a week, I think I know what some will do...  :)

JF

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 14:12:17 PM »
So based on £50 per week how many weeks do you need to rent in order to pay the costs?

Or maybe a better question - how many weeks do you expect to rent out your place?

Because if we only let friends and family stay a couple of times a year - say four weeks - I can’t see that covering the cost of registering, etc.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 21:08:23 PM »
Agreed with you Stoop - just not worth it. My family and friends would have spent a lot of money in the local economy but all that has been lost

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 21:41:01 PM »
Hi Phil, we registered last year but as yet haven't had any friends or family stay. How would we go about registering with tax? My brother-in-law is an accountant and says he can do it but do you do per year or per holiday stay?  Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf